jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

If we can see past our belief systems can we exist in harmony?

1. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image83
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 2 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11973522.jpg
    We, as human beings have the ability to change. It is difficult to do this and can take a tremendous amount of effort. One must be at peace within one's self in order to relate peace to others.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image60
      Righteous Atheistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Move to Saudi and let us know. wink

2. MarieLB profile image86
      MarieLBposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree that  it is difficult to give of what one has not got.  That is, it is difficult to impart peace when one does not have it.

However, one may have had peace before, and although not at peace at the present moment, one can still help others achieve that state. 

This could also assist the giver to recover the peaceful state for him/her self as well.

2. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image83
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 2 years ago

That is correct. We do not always feel at peace all the time yet we can seek it. Thank you for your response.

1. MarieLB profile image86
      MarieLBposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I believe that when one works towards helping others attain peace & contentment, it flows back to the giver.  Maybe not there and then, but it will inevitably bless the giver.

That is why peace needs many of us to hug it close, and if there are enough people who live in peace and spread it around them, then the world will inevitably become peaceful.

The peace I speak of is not the fluttery kind of happiness that we get when excited about something that we like, but the peace wihin that can withstand problems, unfair tactics by others,   The ugly bits of life may make me sad at times, even make me cry uncontrollably.  And I might get angry and want to hit back.  But when I have calmed down some, then I can sit and reflect and realise that I am fortunate in so many ways, that I know better than to let one event affect me and my attitude to life.  I don't want to be an angry, or envious, or mean person, and I won't let anyone else make me like that. 

So I sit and work on pushing the nasty event out of my mind, and think of something I can do for someone else to wash away the bitter feeling - and it works!

working