What does the term 'After-life' mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (37 posts)
  1. kuttingxedge profile image70
    kuttingxedgeposted 11 years ago

What does the term 'After-life' mean to you?

Is it a literal life after death, or maybe a new life on this earth, or is it just a made-up, fear-based idea that people use to make each other do good?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6627340_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    probyte2uposted 11 years ago

It is life after death, after judgement day, whether we will go to hell or heaven.

3. endless sea profile image59
    endless seaposted 11 years ago

For me it is life after death. A life where your soul is judged on the basis of your deeds in the world of living then given place in heaven or is sent to hell, cause I am a believer I believe in it, but many of the people all around oppose it and do that cause no one ever has been able to prove the existence of afterlife as we say "Dead don't talk" so may be its just a term for many...It can also be used as a term to console people of the pain and sadness over the death of their near ones by using Afterlife one may make feel that person is still living just in other world..So it has both spiritual and psychological usage and I am not sure about scientific usage if it has one or not. There can never be a single answer or definite answer to it you can only know if you die or may be talk to souls otherwise it will always be surrounded in debates and multiple theories and facts and myths, if you believe keep believing if not just wait until you die. LOL!!

4. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 11 years ago

It is really life after this present life. There is a life beyond the life we will live in our bodies here on earth. I am a Christian and my faith is that we will live again after we die. I do not know what you believe. I am not driven by fear to believe this rather by love and a desire to realize the true essence of life which is, not living miserable painful lives here on earth.

5. Emmyboy profile image81
    Emmyboyposted 11 years ago

After-life means those events that are believed to take place after someone must have died.

kuttingxedgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know what the definition is. What does that term stir in YOU??

2. Emmyboy profile image81
      Emmyboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What it stirs up in me? Wow! I am always reminded of how much we don't know as people and how much we would like to know about what happens to us after we are supposedly "dead".

6. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 11 years ago

For me, the after-life is a concept. Others may view this concept as a belief. Through history, many belief systems have viewed the After-life as a real place. In my belief, this has in some way contributed to the social ordering of societies as well as their belief systems. People are encouraged to think of a place they will go after they die, where everything is good. This way their attention is diverted from their more mundane, everyday struggles.

7. am301986 profile image60
    am301986posted 11 years ago

It means where your soul goes after you die.
    All religions teach that after we die, our souls will reach some destination that cannot be seen while we live. What happens in that destination will vary greatly depending on the religion.
    I think the most basic definition might be “the survival of consciousness after physical death.” This encompasses virtually every tradition from reincarnation to Heaven and Hell to bodily resurrection to Hades to Nirvana to Nearly Headless Nick.

Thanks Webster!! LOL. I'm just kidding, but what does it mean to YOU am301986?

8. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

My deepest response is that I agree with the Buddha - what happens after bodily death is simply not important, even if we can know. And if one person could know, how could he or she prove it to someone else. The focus, instead, is to be the happiest, healthiest, most loving, most wise, most generous, most peaceful person we can be in this life.

Many people think that the Buddha believed in reincarnation, but that is not so. But reincarnation is one afterlife belief. Other traditions affirm long-term or eternal hells, purgatories, or heavens. Others claim consciousness can't go on after bodily death.

I'm not going to disagree with anyone. Ideas of what we are when the body is gone (or before it arrives, for that matter) are, from my point of view, stories. All stories contain truth, and people can choose whatever story they like, or one that their faith or culture encourages or requires.

I do hope, whatever story you choose, it encourages you to be loving, peaceful, and non-judgmental in this life.

1. profile image0
      Phelckyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you smile

9. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

to me it's an insult to the human mind. i see people actually believing in it and to be honest, it makes me sad. religion has so many foolish ideas to control people and too many people believe them.

Have we evolved so far from where we came that our mental prowess should not entertain the idea of anything bigger than ourselves? A hundred years ago we were pulling artillery with horses. My church doesn't control me...

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

actually were at the point where we should no better. not sure what the artillery quote is about but since we have become more aware of the universe, thinking there is an after life still seems rather off-beat

10. billericky profile image64
    billerickyposted 11 years ago

Each to their own and each person will offer a different answer although quite similar all the same. To some, the after-life may be interpreted as a new beginning after a near death experience, a pivitoal point in their life where they were mentaly at deaths door, or simply a hope for a better existance once they have died.

11. AlexK2009 profile image83
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

The survival of my consciousness after my body ceases to function, in a way that means I can identify myself as being me with continuity or almost continuity between  the two states and with no loss of  function other than that of my body.

There is a lot of good evidence that something survives  bodily death. How much and for how long is another matter.

That definition struck me too. I am inspired to write an article after that last part of your answer. Thanks!

12. easycashonline profile image62
    easycashonlineposted 11 years ago

The term after-life means what will happen once  a person has died. According to the bible, if you are a sinner and do not repent, you will go to hell. However, if you are a righteous person, you will go to heaven

13. kess profile image61
    kessposted 11 years ago

There is no before  nor after  to Life...

Life is that which is...
    The now that incorporate both the before and the aftee as itself.

When the before and are separate then it is death not Life.

14. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

For me, after-life follows a continuation of the development of a being at a higher level of understanding, and in some other kind of body that is not flesh; however, if that human being did not reach the level of understanding required to go up another level, it is posible that he or she remains in this life as spirit and flesh for completing another cycle until reaching the necessary comprehension (divine light) to advance to a higher level.

15. gabgirl12 profile image59
    gabgirl12posted 11 years ago

The only fear based idea is the one of 'Hell'. Frankly there are plenty who live in hell and misery here on Earth.

I do agree that it is used to make each other do good as well as to manipulate people into doing other things. Sad how that happens.

Heaven or After-Life is eternal bliss. No one wants to die. I think its an innate fear of non-existence because we are so used to just existing, if that makes any sense.

Great question!!

16. That Grrl profile image74
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

To me it is literally after I'm no longer alive. I believe in reincarnation but, in reality no one knows what happens next at that point.

My Grandfather believed there was nothing, you are just dead. My Grandmother was more religious, Christian, and believed in God, heaven, etc. I don't believe in God in any traditional way. But, I think it makes sense that we are recycled/ reincarnated.

1. AlexK2009 profile image83
      AlexK2009posted 11 years agoin reply to this

recycled. I like that. Refurbished would be  better

17. whonunuwho profile image55
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

It is my belief that we are never dead completely. After death, our bodies may wither away to dust, but our spirit remains, and this to be with our creator.Scientist have weighed bodies of the deceased before and after death and found that a small amount of weight is unaccounted for. This has been done several times to prove it is a fact. They have found that the weight leaving the body after death is what we call the spirit or soul and this is what I believe will never perish. As a Christian, we are taught that our souls go to be with God upon our death here on this earth.

18. PokyTriba profile image61
    PokyTribaposted 11 years ago

Hello,

The term "after life" doesn´t exist because, we are immortal.

The term "death", it  only brings sadness to people .

We live for ever my friend and we have too much lucky to live in a world where "magic" is the right term.

Peace & Love
    PokyTriba

19. CriticalMessage profile image67
    CriticalMessageposted 11 years ago

After-life to me means those events that take place During Death...

20. tonymead60 profile image84
    tonymead60posted 11 years ago

It means that you are dead. Just as dead as you were before you were born. Where you will revert to the stardust that you came from when the earth is burnt up by the sun in serval billions of years. Stop worrying about dying, enjoy living.

21. CR Rookwood profile image72
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

For me it just means what happens after death. My own sense of it is that death is just a passage to something else. Much like birth is a passage into this world, death is a passage into something else. What would that something else be? That's anyone's guess--unless you believe in a religion that tells you what that something else is.

22. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 11 years ago

For me, the afterlife is a change in work and perhaps a rest from my present cares to take upon myself more substantial cares.   It is a time to build a place that can be a refuge and remind me of the good I am trying to create for my children.  Perhaps to enjoy the company with those who may or may not be able to see the reality i created for they will see whatever the honesty of their mind allows but if they can see me perhaps I can give some company and comfort to others.  It is a place of balance that is not completely light although there are those who live in that state too but not completely darkness.  I plan to plant myself with my front door to the core of light and intelligence and my back door to hell.

23. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I personal view when we died physical, we will all be in a spiritual state. It is like a form of Qi energy that wanders on earth. For those who have achieved enlightenment in their lifetime, will remain as spiritual form and avoid re-incarnation whereas others will be reborn.

The process of my journey in life is to learn our final destination of enlightenment. Only those who seek to find and will eventually find it.

24. electricsky profile image40
    electricskyposted 11 years ago

You have to have beliefs in religion to believe in "life after".  If a person has a religion they worship they should read their bible and see what it says about life after death and eternity.  The Christian Bible makes many references to this and to eternal damnation.  But still I do not think they describe it as a physical place?
    It could be just that, and that is - "Life" of some sort in the after and damnation is the end or nothing? or no further life?

25. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

'After-life' is not my concern. No one from the 'after-life' can tell you about their experiences from their world. This is an obscure matter and I do not want to focus too much on my 'after-life'. No one should be living meaninglessly now.

26. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

"life" after death. our bodies die but our spirit or soul does not, at least not until judgement day. when my body died, i continued to exist and to experience. i was resuscitated and my spirit returned to my body. i believe the KJV bible that tells us what will happen after this world ends.

27. kmaskreations profile image58
    kmaskreationsposted 11 years ago

The purpose for which I live.  Life is a test.  There is no greater joy than to walk with Christ daily, fully understanding that after this life is over, then comes our eternal reward, to be in Heaven if we have lived in accordance with the Holy Bible, or to be condemned to Hell, for those who chose to live in unbelief.  There is only one true gospel, one God, one chance.  How sad to read the comments of so many who have chosen to follow false teachings, but it is human nature to want to please ourselves.  I thank God for his mercy as he allows unbelievers each new day to make things right with him and someday enjoy the afterlife he has prepared for all those who truly believe.

28. profile image50
    glasstreeposted 11 years ago

I have quoted just portion of the hadith, for the complete portion of the hadith refer to Sahih Muslim, Book 1 Number 0352. http://www.muslimaccess.com/sunnah/hade … m/001.html

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported: Some people during the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Messenger of Allah! shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection? The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Yes, and added: Do you feel any trouble in seeing the sun at noon with no cloud over it, and do you feel trouble in seeing the moon (open) in the full moonlit night with no cloud over it? They said: No, Messenger of Allah! He (the Holy Prophet) said: You will not feel any trouble in seeing Allah on the Day of Resurrection any more than you do in seeing any one of them. When the Day of Resurrection comes a Mu'adhdhin (a proclaimer) would proclaim: Let every people follow what they used to worship. Then all who worshipped idols and stones besides Allah would fall into the Fire, till only the righteous and the vicious and some of the people of the Book who worshipped Allah are left.

29. profile image50
    bsceranposted 11 years ago

If a person asks such a question to him/herself, probably someone brings it to his/her mind.

Follow your hearth and give a chance at last for a while. Because there could be some tricks in life which can not be seen and estimated by your eyes and mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)