The problem is that there are many layers to reality

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. DasEngel profile image61
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

It would have been much easier if what we call truth, or reality, had only one total character. But that's not the case: it has many layers. And that makes it increasingly difficult to formulate any universal spiritual principle that fits all of the people. If anyone does, they're most likely being hypocrite or dishonest, ignoring the elusiveness and fleeting character of real life.

Life is beautiful, though and still. smile

1. Ruth Angel profile image70
      Ruth Angelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Life is beautiful. BECAUSE of the diversity in the world.  smile So agreed.

DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Correct! smile

2. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is great complexity in the universe but as we look deeper and deeper into what things are made of, we find that there is also great similarity and simplicity. Below the atomic level, in the tiny realm of the infinitesimal quark, all the bits seem to be the same, whether in a human being, a sea slug, a mountain, or a supernova.

I believe the way to deal with great complexity is to self-apply rules of great simplicity. I think many religions become too complex and thus cause people to become obsessed with the thousands of rules rather than the application of the very few that actually matter. People have so many rules to remember about who and what to disapprove of and what harmless things they are or are not allowed to do that they tend to forget that their neighbors are living, breathing pieces of the universe incredibly similar to themselves, with their own thoughts, desires, and needs.

The spiritual principle I try to live by is just two words, be loving. Obviously, I don't always succeed, but when I keep it firmly in mind and judge my own potential actions by it, I find I seldom do things I dislike myself for later.

Lovely comment! When the solution is simple God is answering, someone said. So then God either loves simplicity or maybe he has better eyesight. smile

3. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Such a profound statement.  If there were to be one statement or universal principle I would say it is integrity.  Yet paradoxes exist within this statement also.  Depending on what level of consciousness you are tapping into, truth/integrity is a matter of individual perspective.  Love in spiritual realms differs greatly from human terms because we are such a fallen beast collectively  Love of pizza is not the same as pure Love as a state of being.  And love is not something you do, it is something you be and emanate as an essence of the Self.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Love is something you be."
        Good bumper sticker.
        "Integrity is something you be,"
        Not a good bumper sticker.

Love is the essence of Self.
        Well, yes! And UNIVERSALLY so!

2. DasEngel profile image61

Couldn't have said more clearly myself. And thank you for coming down to the forums to share your thoughts. I really appreciate. I've checked your profile and you tapped into spirituality way earlier. Hope we can all do something together to make the world a better place. smile

1. Jewels profile image82

For sure, there is a lot to be done smile

4. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What "layers"? Describe them please. Otherwise, I will just have to assume you're making stuff up,and talking nonsense.

Maybe, layers refers to all the ways life manifests. Life is illusive due to physical death. If I swat a fly and it dies, I have practically affected the fly, but I have not affected its source of life which is the "real life" of the fly. It reincarnates into a fly egg and begins another life. Unless its source of life desires/chooses to evolve and become a bee …

2. profile image51
    Max Harmonposted 8 years ago

How about this?  Less than reality equals not reality.  No layers if indeed one is realer, higher, purer, which "layers" would suggest, for that renders the other(s) less than reality.  Such formerly viewed as reality is a problem with perceptivity that is always being reality driven albeit a viewpoint from mere physicality made in bodies designed to perceive a miniscule amount of even just physical stimuli is always sorely lagging.  Our perception of reality doesn't change it.  Truth is the same.  If one source says a particular table has four legs and another says the very same piece of furniture has three, then at least one of those sources is untrue.  If we state the opinions that a table standing on four legs is a three legged table our opinions do not affect the table's condition.  We could break off a leg to change the truth but reality exists where we do not govern.  If there is a truth about everything and that truth about all matters goes all the way to the top, then we are powerless to affect practically reality at all.

What is practical reality?
      How is practical reality affected?
      Where is practical reality located?
      When does practical reality manifest?
      Who mentioned the ability to affect practical reality?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The reality not defined by perceptions?

… or defined by perceptions?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

So you are proclaiming that the character of real life is elusive and fleeting?
    - and if we don't agree with you we're dishonest and hypocritical?
    Is this a debate thread or an agreement thread?
    Dare I disagree?

1. profile image51
      Max Harmonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It looks like you are talking about my post, but it is difficult to tell for sure because your distillation of the wordage didn't match anything said except for a couple of words, of which even those you missed.  The suffix "ly" makes a word an adverb which modifies an action.  I am uncertain who mentioned a practical reality unless it was you, so again it's tricky to tell to what you refer.  But just in case, "practically" means in a practical manner or in this case, virtually affect.  Also, in using the word, "we" one is including oneself.   You mentioned disagreeing with someone.  But I mentioned only people disagreeing with reality in the context of perception, myself included.  (?)  What thread?  I want some of what you're having.

Dear Max:

That response (of mine) was to the original post and not to one of yours. I hope this clears things up a bit.

I zeroed in on the last sentence of YOUR post.

<"If there is a truth about everything and that truth about all matters goes all the way to the top, then we are powerless to affect practically reality at all.">

1. profile image51
          Max Harmonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

right, practically affect would have been better.  Now you're just making fun of the way I write which is something I can get.

No I was not making fun of it.
            I was trying hard to distillate. I am a nerd in this way.
            <"If there is a truth about everything and that truth about all matters goes all the way to the top, then we are powerless to practically affect "reality" at all.">

Q.  What is reality?

I would say "reality" is the source of life. It alone is definite, but its manifestation is elusive.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I would say the latter. hmm

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I think the following issue is what is being discussed:

The tendency (we humans seem to have) to attempt to "formulate" a single universal spiritual principle.

formulate: verb
    1 devise, conceive, work out, think up, lay, draw up, put together, form, produce, fashion, concoct, contrive, forge, hatch, prepare, develop; dream up.
    2 express, phrase, word, put into words, frame, couch, put, articulate, convey, say, state, utter.

The word "affect" is not included ...
    at all.

affect: verb
    1 have an effect on, influence, act on, work on, have an impact on, impact; change, alter, modify, transform, form, shape, sway, bias.
    2 move, touch, make an impression on, hit (hard), tug at someone's heartstrings; upset, trouble, distress, disturb, agitate, shake (up).
    3 attack, infect; hit, strike.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

For instance, maybe we should let words mean whatever we want them to mean?
    That would be beautiful too …

right?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

<"It would have been much easier if what we call truth, or reality, had only one total character. But that's not the case:"> 

I believe beyond "character(s)" there is one Single Spirit. The fact that it manifests in all, (in It's vast myriad of ways,) is very significant. Significant enough to formulate a universal spiritual principle.

So, I dare to disagree.

(- and I am not hypocritical or dishonest.)

TWISI

8. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Its kind of like this maybe? 

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12641135.jpg

He was a smart man!   smile

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

~ definitely ahead of his time!

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Ubiquity:
    Here is a word some guy in the jacuzzi at my health club was yakking about to us just last night.
    He said this ubiquitous force is so powerful that no one can affect it.
    I don't know if this is true or not.
    I think not. I think we can affect it.
    He was talking about its power of destruction as well as construction.

Maybe we can only stop it or allow it to manifest.
      On or off. 1 and 0

You're doing a good job. smile

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

cool

12. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

The concept of Truth has been clarified by ancient Hindu philosophers. "Reality" is relative but Truth (capital T) is unchangeable and eternal by it's very definition. Even physicists agree that "reality" is relative. The Truth on the other hand is permanent and is equated with God.

1. Jewels profile image82

One that hits the heights.  This level of truth is beyond dispute, though many have no understanding of the concept and therefore rely on perception according to the ordinary minds ability to cognize it.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Objective reality + Subjective reality = Truth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)