The Gods Have Come Down...

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (152 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

The gods have come down, and they knew it not.

The gods lived among them, but their dwelling was with the stars of God.

The gods upheld them, but they would have none.

The gods arrayed themselves in gray raiment. But their hearts were clothed in rich purple and velvet.

They condescended with men of low estate, and distinguished them not from the princes, yea, even the chief among men knew them not.

The gods have come down, and they knew them not.

But a thousand galaxies bore witness, even worlds afar off testified. Orion and Plaiedes bore witness, and the constellations thereof.

But the gods would not acknowledge them.

Abaddon acknowledged them. Even Endless Sheol whispered their fear.

But the gods would pay no heed. The warriors would have none.

Though the earth crumble as the day of Ragnorok or Armaggedon, or if it were swallowed up by the Uroboros or Leviathan, the gods would not acknowledge.

They would set their eyes to the East, and would disappear in a cloud.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could you please expand on this.smile

2. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like this is referring to Genesis chapter 6 where fallen angels went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, some refer to as the Nephilim.  The reason why God brought about the great flood.

Genesis 6:4-5

Either that or it is a mixture of Sumerian, Hebrew/Christian and other legends.

Where are these writings from fierycj?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

did you know you can delete your own forum posts? There is a button at the bottom of the post, that is active several hours... smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Good advice.

1. Raven King profile image60
        Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No..no...no.
        Your posts are keepers!
        KEEP THEM!

2. J. Kumm profile image60
      J. Kummposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol @ misha

3. apeksha profile image66
      apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is his own choice he can write anything here...why u all r forcing him to delete his poetry?

3. profile image0

Yeah ha ha, real funny. I'm on mobile. GPRS tends to upset.

1. dishyum profile image58
      dishyumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh God lol

4. profile image0

I need someone to decipher it. Or at least try.

The gods have come down, and they knew it not.
      This line means- the prophets come down as humans and are not aware of themselves or their job since birth.They understand themselves  with time.Then all men are god.

They condescended with men of low estate, and distinguished them not from the princes, yea, even the chief among men knew them not.

They looked at everyone equally irrespective of him being rich or poor.
      even the chief among men knew them not.-Zaratushtra was jailed for fourteen years as he was called mad, no one including the king recognized him as a prophet or man of god.

But a thousand galaxies bore witness, even worlds afar off testified. Orion and Plaiedes bore witness, and the constellations thereof.
        This means- the cosmos is alive and understands who the god man is.Like the Buddha answered on proof of his enlightenment- "nature is my witness."
        Dont understand the rest. smile

5. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

{{They would set their eyes to the East, and would disappear in a cloud.}}

This is clearly about San Francisco. If you set your eyes to the East, i.e. stand with your back to the sea, you won't see the sea-fog rolling in until its too late. It happened to me wink

Once again,thank you my friend .smile It could also mean their mode  of travel, Jesus has come in clouds. smile

1. Paraglider profile image87
        Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Needless to say, I wasn't being serious, but the problem with the original text is that there are far too many pronouns. It's impossible to know what 'they', 'them' refers to. Obscurity doesn't equal mysticism, doesn't equal depth.

Paraglider when you begin to understand spitituality you will begin to understand its depth.A spiritual witer is not restricted by any rule as he writes about god who cannot be restricted.You need to throw everything you have learned out of the window and have no ego in order to understand. smile

Kdnbwerfk aeaeb fketh eerke krkde bbb eo0wagnn BhBh def ee er wth uldskskskk

Like that, you mean?

You know you dont understand anything while I liked some of  these lines as they were very intelligent .

There's a difference between understanding something and agreeing with it

Common Paraglider we both know you didnt comprehend a single line from this passage .

I simply thought most of it was untrue, starting with "the gods have come down".

2. profile image0
                    Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could be this is the wrong thing to say and fighting words to a fairly well-published poet.  I dunno, I'm just sayin.'  Could be I would feel the same way, but probably wouldn't be as civil about it, definitely...but much more American and snarky.  LOL

2. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I think they will travel by train

"And the three men I admire most, the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, they took the last train for the coast, the day the music died ..."

Jenny

6. profile image0

You didnt do bad at all Mohitmisra. Here's some help. Abaddon is the angel in charge of the bottomless pit, which is sealed against the end of the age. Sheol refers to the land of the dead,which is endless. Yet would whisper fearful things about the gods. Ragnarok is the Norse version of how the world ends. Armaggedon is the final battle between good and evil. A christian concept. Thats all I'm saying for now.

Thanks fierycj but honestly its still bouncing over me. smile

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Even Endless Sheol whispered their fear.
      This would mean.
      An enlightened one or god man has gone beyond death.Death has no power over such a person.There is no entity which will come in the way of a god man spreading god knowlege, they have more intelligence than humans and are not stupid and understand their limitations.No intelligent power dare abstruct gods work.

"Death is my friend,
      Where there is no trend.

Why fear,
      It is really near. "  smile

Though the earth crumble as the day of Ragnorok or Armaggedon, or if it were swallowed up by the Uroboros or Leviathan, the gods would not acknowledge.

This creation is a play for god who is not moved  by anything.smile

3. apeksha profile image66

Many people believe on God.
      Ya for them..God came on earth in the form of Jesus, Mohommad Paigamber, Guru Nanak, etc..N people treated them very badly..n punished hardly...so god gone back...

Being a prophet  can be horrible at times smile

7. profile image0

Follow the pattern of the words. You dont read much spiritual or say prophetic write-ups do you, Paraglider. Anyway, its not about mysticism or depth either. Just decipher the damn thing if you can. The pronouns wont hinder you. Or better yet, stick to allegories on San Francisco.

You'd be surprised what I read, and write. Clarity is the responsibility of the writer. Readers shouldn't be expected to decipher, except in archaeological work.

1. nicomp profile image61
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever listened to an Obama speech?

Politics is the art of obfuscation dressed as rhetoric. Obama's far from the worst offender.

The spirit cannot be restricted by any rules of the language. smile

3. profile image0
        Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. If a poem is beautiful, people will naturally want to decipher it.

Correct poetry will have great depth in it and can have more than  one meaning to it. smile
          It will depend on the individual consciousness as to the depth he or she sees in it. smile

2. Paraglider profile image87

If a writer has earned his/her place in the literary world, then yes, it's probably worth spending some time on their less transparent passages. But we're not talking about Shakespeare's sonnets here. Just a semi-coherent ramble on a Net forum.

Paraglider you will not understand the masters today.You may know the different forms of poetry but you will not understand its spiritual depth or true meaning.
            Many master didn't go and get a doctorate in English or were professors in their language they communicated with god and that's when poetry happened. Poetry is divinity .

Mohit - there's nothing to be gained from re-opening a very old discussion. You and I understand poetry differently and write it very differently. I have no problem with that and no interest in a competition over it. I'm pleased your book sells well. I'm also happy with what I do in the field.

Thats true.I do like you as a person. smile

So you should, as we are both little particles of God wink

True and you have some fine qualities and an awesome sense of humor. winkI love you in my own way smile You are an intelligent seeker. smile

2. profile image0

Paraglider, I really don't believe you have an understanding of poetry. Published or not, if it's beautiful it can have complex meaning.

No problem. I publish lots of stuff. But feel free to be as superior as you like. It really doesn't bother me.

1. profile image0

I'm not being superior, I'm being honest. Published or unpublished all beautiful poetry is the same-it draws the reader in and makes them want to decipher the poem if its complex. A poem could be simple, or it could be complex, it really doesn't matter as long as it's beautiful. Really, it annoys me when people place poetry in categories like you do. It's like saying only haikus are beautiful or all poetry should have a bigger a grander purpose such as political posturing...expand your horizons.

What do you mean by 'like you do'? Be as annoyed as you like, but read me before you categorise me.

1. profile image0

You probably are a good poet but your opinion is still wrong.

2. countrywomen profile image59
                    countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WR- Sorry to intervene here. Yes, I have read some of the poems of Paraglider and have been really impressed by them so far. And also some of these art galleries have "modern" art which is totally left upto the reader to decipher(and such paintings don't appeal to me at all). And as you say that beautiful poem should "draw in" the reader (most of the present poems don't even do that forget about trying to decipher the meaning). smile

2. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought sheol was the common grave of mankind......

what religion are you.......

8. profile image0

Yes Brenda, Sheol is the common grave of mankind. Its just the Hebrew word for Hell or Hades, or land of the dead.

9. profile image0

I wrote it a while back. Its concept is drawn from various writings of scripture, and mythological tales.

1. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting fierycj.  I assumed you were writing about the fallen angels and their offspring from Genesis 6 because you used gods in plural with a small g.  But the great flood was meant to do away with evil too.

Mike

P.S. By the way I thought you might want to comment on this Population Research Institute thread in the Politics forum.  Part 4 is about the Case in Nigeria.

10. profile image0

Actually what happened there Raven was. I posted a thread twice, and that was a gprs error. Naturally, Mark and Misha not knowing any better made a big deal of it. Of course, I'll keep my posts. Thanks.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL You did not see our big deal yet. This was a friendly advice lol

12. profile image0

Misha, I know you guys think you're big shots and all. But here's something you should ponder over: your big deal to me is simply what I call, 'big deal'

Ignore my friend I like debating with you smile I made the  same mistake when I joined and was pounced on as well. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Not sure why you are getting so upset. People who create multiple threads on the same subject (as you have done several times) end up getting banned from the site. So you were being given good advice to delete one or other thread.

I was not aware you are incapable of using your phone properly. Now I know that I will not give you any more advice.

13. profile image0

Mohitmisra, you've done well so far.the thing though is, you veered slightly from the part about Armageddon and Ragnorok, Leviathan and Uroboros. You see, they both respectively depict opposite sides of the same concept. Like you cant believe in both Ragnorok and Armageddon at the same time. Ragnarok is basically the end of all good. Armageddon is the end of evil. Thats basically. So if either one triumphs over the other, the gods will not be moved. Also, Leviathan is seen as an ancient creature, one of the first, along with Behemoth. See Job 41 for details. They're Titans who according to Myth waged war in the Titanomachy. Now, according to Myth,the Uroboros,this huge monstrous snake will devour the world on the day of Ragnorok. See the connection. They're like parallel concepts.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a mythology fan, I liked it, although I would argue that you should make it into a Hub. smile

The only bit that I would take issue with is that Ragnarok is not the end of the world, or even the end of good. It is the end of the old ways and the beginning of the new and symbolises hope, that humans should forge its own future instead of being the playthings of the Gods.

Some have argued that Ragnarok represents the coming of Christianity, although that is unclear. A beautiful mythology and one of my favourites. smile

Hope that helps smile

A lot of people seem to misunderstand this. It is the same with the death card in the Tarot. It represents a new beginning.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a nice set of tarot cards based upon Norse mythology - beautiful, although it is a long time since I used them. I always loved Norse mythology - a misspent childhood.

I noticed you and Raven having a nice conversation about that. Maybe good subject material for the Hupfer 100 challenge - an article about the meaning of each and every tarot card wink

Not a chance. There is no way I could get them done in time. Those hubs will almost all be 400 word adsense magnets. smile

Might be something to think about in the future - but tarot cards are a bit like interpreting the "true word of god" - everyone has their own idea what they mean. wink

Thanks for the input sufidreamer. smile

Will need to read about them in order to understand smile

14. profile image0

Mark we all know its not about the advice. Its how you hand it out. You guys we're making fun of a situation you clearly had no understanding off. That includes gprs errors. Thanks, but no thanks.

It is about both. I see you happily followed the advice. The way it is handed out is largely about the demeanor of the person it is being given to. wink

15. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 14 years ago

Not all good poetry is published and vice versa. Really can't stand much of the poetry today.

Same here I think the market is full of garbage.Poetry, the most condensed form of philosophy should permeate with the essence of god and be timeless.There is absolutely no message in many so called poets today.
      The state of poetry today is sad and an insult to the masters -the real poets. smile
      Anyone doubting can have look at my profile-have put up poetry rankings my book is on. smile

1. profile image0

True, there too much stuff that's contrived. It should be more spiritual, more inspired rather than about insipid stuff that happens everyday. Though that could be great to if done well. I like you Mohit, and I rarely like poets (not poetry but poets). Writers are more down to earth, though, so I tend to appreciate them more. I write metaphorically as I've done since I was a kid...I just think like that, in metaphors. Not many metaphorical poets these days.

2. profile image0

Funny thing is, I notice people start slamming me when I receive a very good compliment from someone. People.

I appreciate your understanding of poetry, became your fan for your understanding and complimented you. smile any time ,I like you too smile

16. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Some of us, even writing currently, (some even writing here) do take it seriously and do know good from the bad and the indifferent, as it is something of a vocation--and we have studied it for years.  All I'm saying.

But I'm all down with the American right of freedom of speech, of course! wink

17. profile image0
    Writer Riderposted 14 years ago

I don't take people who publish crap seriously.Sorry.

18. profile image0

And you are speaking of Paraglider or myself?  LOL

I just have to ask, since this thread looks a bit unpleasant. 

I guess I should also ask, do you want a vocational opinion on your personal literary critical opinion or your published poetry?  Maybe I should just provide that out of thin air to be unpleasant.  Think so?

19. profile image0

Something is up with WR, I think--one of my fans.  Not sure what. She was being the same way on one of Christoph Reilly's hubs... No apparent reason.

I must say this is the first time I've ever seen poets at each others' throats--must be this insane religion forum.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can say that again.

You must be kidding,there is allways ego clashes between poets. smile

Come to India you will see politics in poetry .smile
      Then I would say more spirituality-look at Paulo Coehlo he got so much crap when he started .Today he is considered one of the best writers of our times.Many who don't understand spirituality try and block you. smile
      I fail to understand how anyone could give him attitude as he is such a superb writer.

We had Iqbal who was pissed of with Tagore when he won the Noble Prize as he thought he was a better poet. smile Both were great masters.

1. profile image0

There is competition, there is politics--but never outright silly nastiness.  LOL...don't think that's usually considered 'nuanced' enough, from where I have been.

There has been and can be bitterness- fact of life.Have you looked at my profile.? There are few poets of my caliber this planet has seen yet I get crap . smile

Life is so unfair.

You should write a poem or something. big_smile

lol  lol  lol  lol
              you are an adorable, not so old rascal wink

2. profile image0

Um, yeah, smile LOL

I'm convinced I must switch to fiction forthwith.  Competition too stiff in poetry.

3. Paraglider profile image87

I must say I thought it was a bit strange too. Maybe something in the water.

4. countrywomen profile image59

WR- Based on Lita's post just out of curiosity I went through your profile and found this hub of CR : http://hubpages.com/hub/Mr-Know-It-All- … -Questions where there was some discussion and all of a sudden I found a mention about me. I am not sure what/when/where I said anything to hurt you. If I hurt you in anyway please forgive me. I have no intention to hurt you or anybody else and most of the times when I am in the office I don't scroll through all the comments while leaving a comment in a hub. I must have said something somewhere (not sure where) but believe me it has nothing to do with you (most importantly hurt you in anyway). I hope you will accept my apology for unknowingly being the cause of your pain. As it is I see so much pain and suffering in the world and if I am the direct cause of it to somebody than that pains me the most. Once again sorry and I will try to be extra careful in the future.

Sorry for butting in,countrywomen you are just a darling. smile

2. profile image0

That's because I deleted your comments to save your face after you apologized. You don't need to apologize twice I shouldn't have brought it up because I swept it under the rug. In that respect my bad.

1. countrywomen profile image59

From CR's hub
          "Countrywomen did say something mean but that, I believe, was in response to something I said on BardofEly's hub about a certain group of islands in the pacific potentially being the ancestors of Indians. Maybe she assumed (falsely) that I was suggesting that Indians are uncivilized...on the contrary."

You said that it was in Bard of Ely's hub. If it was in your hub then can you approve it as I am really curious if I really said anything mean/nasty to you as I don't remember having said anything to you. Please I would like to know what I have said that you term as "insult" as that is something totally unlike me.  And you say I also apologized(when I don't remember having said anything in the first place). Was it somebody unregistered saying it was me? I don't know what it is and I am certainly curious as I am very careful both online and in person not to say anything to hurt anyone.

1. profile image0

I said something on Bard of Ely's hub about India and Atlantis but you didn't insult me then. You said something about not worrying because losers win on my Chop Suey hub...which I deleted. I figure that was in response to what I said on Bard's blog.

Well my friend you are trying to connect a lot of things. Again I am not sure what I said in the other hub and also I don't  take things to heart very easily. And what did I say about Chop Suey? Usually I try to have a good time at HP and if I said anything it must have been in jest(having nothing to do with any previous interaction with you). And at the first hint of offense(when somebody feels) I try to set things right. Even if I said something(which I am still not sure what) was it so mean and insulting that you remember it till date? Anyway peace my friend. You are one of the finest writers and I am always happy to meet wonderful hubbers like you. smile

1. profile image0

Thanks Countrywomen! It was the title of a hub of mine but it was so long ago, like you said, that I should have erased it from my mind. It isn't just you, just a cumulative of insults from a certain clique of hubsters gets boring after a while. You're a great person Countrywomen, I pick up a good vibe from you.

3. profile image0

CW, for some reason I always feel like I want to protect YOU.

Lita- If I really said something knowingly or unknowingly then I am not shy of accepting responsibility and tend to apologize for it accordingly. Thanks for your concern. smile

20. profile image0

To Mohit. The stars of God refer to angels. If I had said just stars, then I would mean just that. We are told the Devil snatched a third part of the stars of Heaven. This means he has a third part of the angels, now fallen on his side. Envision, the realm I'm trying to paint here. A higher level of operation for the gods. A higher frequency.

We connect smile

21. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Writer Rider - to clear the air, I bear no ill will to you or anyone else here. OK?
    We are all entitled to write and appreciate poetry as we see fit. No-one, not even my good friend Mohit smile is the absolute authority on taste, still less on quality. Let's not let discussion become personal. Life's too short.

1. profile image0

Good point, yes. It gets on my nerves when people start insulting me and I usually can tell when. I start to cringe when I receive a really good compliment because I know I'm going to get flack for it...but that's in the past. I prefer to move forward and deal with cultured people like you.

This is true and if someone approaches me for the different styles and structures of poetry I will gladly guide them to my dear friend Paraglider as I still do not have that knowledge. smile

1. apeksha profile image66

The same thing he was tring he just done poetry on that..why u all r disdaining him...n upseting him by telling format...that is his choice..

22. bennyjet profile image61
    bennyjetposted 14 years ago

thankz brudda... smile lots of 'MANA' in your post...and for those who do not know what MANA is...it is 'UNIVERSAL AUTHORITY!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)