jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Were all biblical characters actual men and women who walked the earth and recor

1. pjk_artist profile image62
    pjk_artistposted 8 years ago

Were all biblical characters actual men and women who walked the earth and recorded their history?

Were all biblical characters actual men and women who walked the earth and recorded their history in the bible or is scripture instead a series of ancient parabolic lessons teaching man how to find God in himself?

2. jacklhasa profile image59
    jacklhasaposted 8 years ago

To answer the question in the most technical way, no.

Most of the characters that we see in the Old Testament did not record any history of their own.  The first five books of the Old Testament, for example, were all attributed to Moses.  Some of these stories and biblical figures could be seen as allegories and lessons in disguise. 

If we assume that all five books were indeed written by Moses himself, many of the stories came from a collection of the current oral traditions of what would one day become Judaism.

3. aoiffe379 profile image56
    aoiffe379posted 8 years ago

I would like to think they were real. of course some people want proof. Joseph went down to Egypt where there were pharaohs. We know that pharaohs existed. Joseph did not write his story; but it can be checked against the annals of time. As for Queen Esther, the Jewish people still commemorate and celebrate their victory annual. In the case of Jacob wrestling in the night, Jewish people do not eat the part that was touched. Like I have said, some information can be checked. other details demand faith.

4. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 8 years ago

Depends on what your imagination wants it to be=)

5. Dgerrimea profile image62
    Dgerrimeaposted 7 years ago

Probably not. The books of Moses were apparently only written in the first few centuries BCE, maybe around 600 I think. This is what I saw on the Bible: A History series of documentaries which are available on YouTube.
    Anyway your question is a false dichotomy: I don't think the Bible is either of the options you offered. I think it's a jumbled collection of lies, mistakes, pseudo wisdom, and ignorance.

6. Theologian1969 profile image81
    Theologian1969posted 7 years ago

Yes....all of the tales of the Genesis are true.  Archeaology is proving it every day!

7. ibbarkingmad profile image82
    ibbarkingmadposted 4 years ago

No. Most were real, but some were parables or fictional characters to teach a lesson. Some biblical scholars think Job was fictional, for example. While I am not sure if this is the case or not, I do know the essence of the book is truth, even if many have and still do manipulate it to get others to do what they want.