jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Heredity,environment or both are often blamed for situations. Which one can be b

1. aoiffe379 profile image54
    aoiffe379posted 8 years ago

Heredity,environment or both are often blamed for situations. Which one can be blamed for criminals?

In education and other areas,the heredity vs environment persists. When i think of thieves, liars, murderers, rapists, swindlers etc. i wonder if it is the result of the sis of the parents to the 3rd & 4th generation. I know of PKs- Preacher Kids and Policemen Kids who go afoul of the law. Some families have lived on the right side of the law for generations until one child spoils the spotless record by aberrations.Was this propensity for evil inherited and suppressed?.The Bible says to train a child... and he will not depart from it; but many do. What do you think?

2. cogitoergosumleo profile image56
    cogitoergosumleoposted 8 years ago

Hi  aoiffe379!

Now that is the million $$$ question!

Are we intrinsically good or intrinsically bad.

States of mind or states of consciousness which are intrinsically good usually require a change in our perceptual mind-set.

Consider Spinoza's observation:

With regard to god and evil, these terms indicate nothing positive in things considered in themselves, nor are they anything else than modes of thought, or notions which we form the comparison of one thing with another. For one and the same thing may at the same time be both good and evil or indifferent. Music, for example, is good to a melancholy person, bad to one in mourning, while to a deaf man it is neither good nor bad.

Are we products of evolution(experience) or do we have it all within us at birth(inate)? Aristotle vs Plato.

We have free will whatever the genes may be telling someone else!

Love, hugz & kizzez!

Leon

3. Rebecca Fortner profile image58
    Rebecca Fortnerposted 7 years ago

As an educator, I see many wonderful parents that have children that display behaviors that shock them every day.  I think that a behavior disorder is just that... a disorder.  Some genetic, and some environmental.  There is no denying that the environment can shape a behavior.  Everybody is shaped someway or another by their environment.  Everyone gets a payoff from the behavior, whether it is power, attention, or tangible. Finding the payoff and working from that angle will help.  Professional help is always advisable.  Otherwise, one may be working in the dark.

4. Old Geezer profile image61
    Old Geezerposted 7 years ago

My answer is either.  Individually, both heredity and environment can possibly contribute to criminal behavior.  Acting together, the pair could probably enhance the possibility of criminal behavior.

working