jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why Do People, Including University Professors, Believe In Superstition?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Why Do People, Including University Professors, Believe In Superstition?

2. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Same reason many believe in Christianity, Islam, etc.  Just because some people are supposedly educated and articulate doesn't mean that they are not idiots.

3. Wilhelmina Noir profile image54
    Wilhelmina Noirposted 8 years ago

Many people are brought up in families and communities with deeply spiritual beliefs. Some people identify with those ideas, whereas others do not. A long time ago people devised these superstitions to explain the world in which they lived. These ideas were based on a multitude of things: oral tradition, regional mythologies, sometimes even tales used to indoctrinate the public (the way some countries have folktales that extoll the vices of old, ugly witchlike characters). The latter was most popular throughout the many phases of Witch trials throughout the world.  The fear of Friday the 13th, for instance, arose from the burning of many members of the Knights Templar, on a Friday the 13th.

4. webcash1964 profile image55
    webcash1964posted 7 years ago

I believe it's a cultural thing or family thing. It's who we hang out with and what we grew up believing. I believe many people have "superstitions" based on their personal experiences. My cousin would arrange the silverware a certain way after a date to make sure he'd call again.

Many superstitions don't make any sense, but we are bound to them nevertheless.