jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Has the Bible and the Church Been the Greatest Obstacles in Liberation of the Wo

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Has the Bible and the Church Been the Greatest Obstacles in Liberation of the Woman? ...

Should We Edit The Bible And Reform The Church To Create More Freedom To The Woman?

2. kess profile image60
    kessposted 8 years ago

The bible enslaves all who determine live by it.

3. profile image0
    jcmmanuelposted 8 years ago

Not really. Just as the Old testament had already rules to protect the life of slaves some 900 years before the Greeks (remind that slavery was simply a common thing for all peoples then - they were more or less seen as employees now, be it with a different statute, and no real democracies were around - not even in Greece), so has the bible also inspired people, especially around and since the middle ages for instance, to see woman in a different light than was usual in the pre-western world. Of course, there's always also the mistakes. But the important thing is: there is no such thing like one particular group (e.g. 'believers') who did all things wrong and another group or groups who did it all right. Reality doesn't work like that. History shows a quite complex and multi-faceted picture here.

4. Allan McGregor profile image60
    Allan McGregorposted 8 years ago

The answer to 'Has the Bible been the greatest obstacle in liberation of the woman?' is no.

To the question, 'Has the Church been the greatest obstacle in liberation of the Woman?' the answer is, that depends on what you mean by the Church.

Do you mean organised religion or the Body of Christ?

Churchianity has certainly hindered women, whereas Christianity liberates them.

I explain these points further in my series 'God created sex', but the Bible teaches sexual equality, and misinterpretations as ever arise from the attempts of those with a preset agenda to bend Scripture to their own purpose.

As the rabbis say - 'A text without a context is a pretext', and you can make the Bible prove almost anything you like if you rip individual vereses or passages out of their contexts to create your own 'cut & paste doctrine'. But if the integrity of Scripture is maintained then the truth speaks for itself.

5. joecseko profile image73
    joecsekoposted 8 years ago

I think they've both been the biggest obstacle to common sense. Killing and torture via the Inquisition and the Crusades!

6. profile image47
    4evernalwaysposted 7 years ago

Jesus overcame bondage, repression, oppression, etc...... at the Cross. We are all free thru Him, by Him because of Him. May the Holy Spirit guide all to this truth as they read the truth in His word. We have worth to Him, by Him, because of Him. The church I have been blessed with to
    attend has preached God's Word and this glorious message. So I would say "no" because Bible and Church has not been  obstacles in this woman's liberation, I am free in the Lord, by the Lord thru the Lord!!!

7. kdkragen profile image61
    kdkragenposted 7 years ago

Quite the opposite, the Tanach (Jewish Bible) & the Christian Bible has been instrumental in justice, equality, and liberation from sexual oppression for women. Go to "Christians For Biblical Equality" (cbeinternational.org) for some excellent discussions on the subject. Those who claim the Apostle Paul supported slavery and the oppression of women have either never read the Christian New Testament or have not read it very carefully (using good hermeneutics and literary analysis). The New Testament book of Philemon, for example, is one of the first anti-slavery documents in recorded human history.
    A Caveat: undoubtedly, there have been countless individuals through history who have oppressed women "in the name of Christianity" -- even as similar individuals (and/or groups) have supported slavery or racism (against another tribe or ethnic group) in the name of Christianity. Humans have/do support slavery and oppression of women in the name of most anything, atheism, fascism, Islam, Hinduism, egoism, Ayn Rand pragmatism, whatever. It is, however, fallacious to conclude that such associations (between oppressive behavior and a particular worldview) are of necessity valid. Shalom & Aloha Kakou.

working