jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How Do Poor People Feel About Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness?

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

How Do Poor People Feel About Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness?

2. terced ojos profile image66
    terced ojosposted 8 years ago

The funny thing is ngureco the saying "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Is not in the bible. 

I forget who coined the term but basically it doesn't apply to God because God never said it.

3. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 8 years ago

This is a man made Cliche' and isn't in scripture.
    There are many sayings people associate with scripture that's not in there.

4. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 8 years ago

Being poor doesn't mean you're not clean, and since it is just a saying to get people to work harder on appearances, it doesn't make sense to label it from anything but opinion. Besides, Jesus walked around in deserts in sandals, and bathing regularly didn't happen until much later, so even the wealthy weren't close to "Godliness"...

That's why they had powered wigs, to hide their greasy hair... plus perfumes were insanely strong to hide the smell of their bodies. So, poor or not, cleanliness is more like a social standard and health standard than a religious one.

5. markstebbins profile image56
    markstebbinsposted 8 years ago

Christ said love thy neighbor as thy self,  whether clean or otherwise.  Christ stood in the presence of lepers and healed all ten.  We should not judge,  for the grace of God go I. (WE)

6. Evan G Rogers profile image75
    Evan G Rogersposted 8 years ago

You can be as clean as you want - you still can't create universes and control other people.

Gods mostly likely are clean, but ... they can control the world...

7. Pollyannalana profile image87
    Pollyannalanaposted 8 years ago

Well, we intelligent "poor" know there is no such scripture (if so please give it, which I am 100% there is not!) and the unintelligent poor I am sure know their God through His love better than that. Jesus came for the poor. Look in your concordance.(If you know what that is.)

8. profile image44
    Jubaelposted 8 years ago

Honestly, the idea of poor and clean going together is actually based on the idea that there is such a thing as a noble poor. For instance, a poor person who takes pride in their appearance, but can't afford anything better will have one set of 'nice' clothes that they keep clean for special events like, weddings, funerals, job interviews.

If you take the time to go to a country with a magnitude or two more people, say India or China, you'll find many many poor people that literally live in shacks with dirt floor. In the United States we have a magnitude of wealth above the rest of the world, as a "First World" Country.

When you have to worry about having enough food for you and your family each day, then all you can do is teach your children to be good people, and hope that they do not end up thieves, just trying to make life easier.

So... cleanliness is next to godliness is really nothing more than a mantra to remind yourself that being poor doesn't mean that you aren't a good person. It really is. My family was never very religious, but that statement is something my poor grandma lived by, and her house was always clean... no matter how poorly stocked it may have been.

Good Luck.

working