What are THE WAYS that people are poor in America because of their mindset, outl

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

What are THE WAYS that people are poor in America because of their mindset, outlook,

philosophy, & psychology?  What are THE SIX WAYS that the poor in America CHOOSE to be poor?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12185479_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

You can't be serious - you think poor people choose to be poor? This superior than thou attitude is what a lot of working poor and middle classes are finally fighting back against.  Thankfully.

Let's see I guess the disabled person living on disability with no other way to support himself likes being a victim. It's fun to not be in good health and not be physically able to support yourself.  All those disabled moochers..

The single mom whose husband took off and refuses to support his family - she I'm sure is happy that she works tons of hours per week to provide for her kids in a job that doesn't pay a living wage and I'm sure she's thrilled to be looked down upon as she uses her link card to purchase groceries.  She must really enjoy that and all that time away from her kids because she doesn't have her helper anymore.  Yep what bliss.

I know those homeless veterans who were proudly shipped off to illegal, bogus wars are just stoked to have untreated PTSD and other mental health issues they can't afford help for. They live on the streets because hey - it's like camping! and camping is fun!

When I was poor due to being bankrupted by medical bills because I had the audacity to have a negative reaction to a prescription drug - I totally chose that path... My then husband broke his back at work that same year and worker's comp barely covered our bills.  It was great joy to almost lose everything, yesiree what a party.

I'm sorry to be snarky and sarcastic, but it's hard for people who are burdened to constantly be demonized.  Do you think that really makes people want to keep fighting to get ahead in a system and society that is seemingly stacked against them? No wonder people grow hopeless and give up.  I hope you are never in the position to face some of the scenarios I just listed. 

Here's some interesting reading for you also on why "it's so expensive to be poor".. http://www.economist.com/news/united-st … ve-be-poor

If you think the deck isn't stacked in this society, well I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Some people can beat the odds, others can't but it doesn't mean they enjoy or "choose" it because they have some mental defect.  How insulting

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not addressing the deserving poor or those who fall on temporary hard times but addressing lifestyle.  There are people who ELECT NEVER TO BETTER themselves but instead to be merely satisfied with being poor....

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12040624_f260.jpg

Yes, there are people who are satisfied, even quite content being poor, even impoverished.  They have a mindset, consciousness, & psychology of passivity.  They feel that they are powerless.  They also believe that society, the man, or the powers that be are against them.  They further believe that success is beyond their purview & they might as well be satisfied with crumbs.

They also have quite a negative view of life.  They feel that they are at the world's toe. They feel that they always have to fight.  They see life as a continual lower purgatory, if not hell.  There are some among the poor who see life as hell on earth.  They also imbue that negative philosophy to their children.  They also have a negative attitude towards money.  They may feel that money corrupts one.  They can also contend that money leads to extravagance.  They may even feel superior because they are poor & struggling.  They maintain that it is a badge of honor to be struggling for that makes one stronger.

Many poor people are anti-achievement because they feel that such things creates an inauthentic person.  They believe in living for the moment.  There is a theory called the culture of poverty which states that the poor are believers in immediate gratification.  The poor oftentimes act & do things without considering the future ramifications of their acts.  In other words, poor people INSTINCTIVELY act, never think.  Much of the poverty in poor American communities occur because poor people possess the characteristics which continues poverty. 

Many poor people deride education, believing that education is not for them or their children.  If their children or anyone else in their lives are interested in education, the latter are oftentimes criticized for being interested in education.  The poor value street credibility &/or knowledge over academics.  They view the survival mode as superior to the higher human needs.  They inculcate their children in such values.

When it comes to work, the poor do not believe in advancing themselves when there are opportunities.  They view work as a tolerable, onerous tasks instead of an avenue to a better life.  They are content to remain at the bottom, oftentimes making excuses as to why they cannot advance themselves.  They are also jealous of those who advance themselves, adopting a crab in the barrel mentally either covertly or overtly.  They figure that if they do not succeed, NO ONE ELSE is going to either......

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

SOME poor people do that, but most poor are hard working doing jobs you'd never dream of doing. They may not be as smart or gifted intellectually as you - but they do work hard and they deserve a fair shake which they do NOT get in this society.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT!

4. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Having children out of wedlock, when this essentially guarantees the child's poverty because the father isn't committed and present through the process of raising the child. And 80% of fathers there when she has the baby are gone when the kids are teens, whereas around 2/3 of married fathers ARE there.

5. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 7 years ago

Number one on my list would be those who have children without having their own financial, physical, and mental houses in order. I think number two is those who expect things to be given to them, they expect that they "should" have this or that specific pay...but have done NOTHING to earn it. They may have no skills, trade, experience, degree, but may want or expect large paychecks and are dismayed when this doesn't go well for them. Some of these same folks refuse to learn new skills or a trade or simply learn how to use a computer or learn a new language. Number three on my list is those who are spendthrifts.

I'd say that number four would be those who fail to plan, they are literally planning to fail, whether it be in the execution of a small, moderate, large, or herculean task. Number five is those who decide that it's not even worth it to try and create a comfortable life for themselves. Sure, for many it's difficult and there are obstacles that may even wrongfully be in their way, however, it generally does not happen that a person will walk up to them and give them money even if they're struggling. This is America, the land where we have people falling over themselves to gift & give things to celebrities as they step over the poor while en route.

I say number six is addiction. The first abuse of a legal drug and the first use of an illegal drug is a choice, pure and simple. After that, it may grow into addiction but the very start of addiction is a choice to use/abuse. Addiction is extremely costly not only in terms of money but to entire families and communities. In these six ways, many choose to be poor. However, being the realist and optimist that I am, I hold out hope that people can and will be able to learn from their mistakes and change any choices that may lead to them or their loved ones being poor. Some do and some don't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)