jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Was Adam the first man? Or there was people here before him? Because Gen1 26-29

1. Moe207 profile image55
    Moe207posted 8 years ago

Was Adam the first man? Or there was people here before him? Because Gen1 26-29 tell me there was .

2. shodge profile image60
    shodgeposted 8 years ago

In his statement "Let us make man in OUR image" God is referring to the Godhead. Trinity God Head. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

3. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 8 years ago

the hebrew for mankind is adam or earth. It is plural.
    also, the "Our"  image is asher, the same as "I am I" or we,

ehyeh asher ehyeh.

hope it helps.

4. kess profile image60
    kessposted 8 years ago

Adam was only one and both male and female.

Just as God is one, same with the image one.
    All comes from the one ....

5. davidwpa profile image61
    davidwpaposted 8 years ago

Well, I'm going to stick my torch in this fire, because I believe something different.

My understanding of the Creation story in the Bible is it is the explanation of the origin of God's chosen race of man and that Adam was the first of his chosen or favored people and Eden was a Paradise in which he placed Adam apart from the rest of the world which we know exists because when he and Eve transgressed he was sent away from the Garden into the world.

I believe God filled his Creation with living creatures including humans other than Adam and while Adam was created first and placed in Garden (set apart from everyone) he created others.

This is evident when Cain killed Abel and was sent to Nod to dwell among the people there.  If this wasn't the case, where would those people have come from.  Remember God said he "marked" Cain so they would know not to touch him.

As shodge said, the "Let us make man" comment does not refer to other men, but I believe it also does not necessarily refer to the Trinity which is a derived concept by the early Church.

I actually think God was speaking with other gods or beings of power whom God later forbade his chosen people from worshipping (The Exodus' Ten Commandments)  Why make the commandment if God was the only one in the heavens?  I think he (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is all-powerful but he is not
    alone. 

Just my 2 cents

6. Moe207 profile image55
    Moe207posted 8 years ago

The Hebrew word for image is tselem, which means shade or shadowing, have you ever wondered where the dusky race came from. In Gen 1:26-29 God told male and female to multiply and be fruitful and replenish the earth. He did not give the same laws to Adam, nor was he created after his image, he was created after his likeness. God also acted alone when he created Adam because he needed someone to till the ground and there was no man around. Not like in Gen1 when he said lets go down and create man in our own image. Also Adam & Eve had Cain and Abel; Cain was to be a vagabond or wanderer; so he knew his wife.

working