jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Your writings are thought provoking. What is your belief regarding divorce.

1. profile image45
    sharonagapeposted 7 years ago

Your writings are thought provoking.  What is your belief regarding divorce.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image81
    Judah's Daughterposted 7 years ago

Hi Sharon, thank you for your compliment.  They say "hind sight is 20/20", for we learn obedience by the things which we suffer (Heb 5:8).  We need to be OBEDIENT to God's Word.  We need to marry someone who is equally yoked with us (2 Cor 6:14).  What God has joined together, no man is to separate (Mat 19:6).  I think the majority of divorces are grounded in the fact that God didn't join them together.  A house built on sand is bound to fall.  Your house must be built on the Rock of Jesus Christ. 

Now, if one gets saved and the other isn't, the unbelieving is sanctified (set apart/protected) by the believer's faith (1 Cor 7:14).  The Bible gives ordinances for marriage, in that a husband is not to "put away his wife" (except for the case of adultery) and a "wife is not to separate from her husband" (Mat 19:9; 1 Cor 7:10-11).  Some go out and commit adultery just so they can "legally" get a divorce.  Now, what sense does that make?  I think there are good reasons to separate, including domestic violence, drug abuse and so forth.

What I found interesting in my studies is that the word "love" in regard to marriage is the Greek word "agapao", meaning a "social, moral and principled love" (like a dutiful love), versus the emotional type love we so desire from a spouse.  What I've learned is 'DO THE RIGHT THING' because the consequences of disboedience are dyre.  Believe me.

God is forgiving and divorce certainly doesn't cause one to lose his/her salvation, but seek God's Word and obey it with His help.  I certainly hope this helps.

3. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

this is a rather complicated issue. originally, marriage was meant 2 b a lifetime. however, there r certain things that cause divorce. 2 main sensitive issues r
    cheating
    abuse

i wouldn't tolerate either of these

4. Darrell Roberts profile image73
    Darrell Robertsposted 7 years ago

I think marriage is take too lightly, what happend to the "until dead do us part".  Ha ha ha there would be no divorces and no bastard children running around because people would be responsible. 

Just kidding, a marriage is only real when the two people are in true love.  Anything else is lust that will come to a screaming and painful end.

working