jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do people take God's Word and twist it to mean something totally different?

1. Kristeen profile image71
    Kristeenposted 7 years ago

Why do people take God's Word and twist it to mean something totally different?

God's word is clearly written. Everything we need to know for our eternal salvation is there for all to see. Why do people take it and twist it to mean something totally different? This confuses people and makes them fearful of what is to come. Its so easy - Just believe -  It is a gift from God. We do nothing to earn it. "Let go and let God". It's there for all people! Take it and treasure it!

2. xKumo profile image57
    xKumoposted 7 years ago

A lot of well-meaning people that twist His word do it because it's becoming alarmingly popular to create your own idea of what God really is, and what He really "meant to say". Some things ARE meant to be taken under interpretation in the Bible, but some people use that to take liberties with everything the Bible says.

3. imperial_han profile image61
    imperial_hanposted 7 years ago

I think they try to justified themself that they are doing the right stuff in the path of God, to feel like self righteousness. Maybe they are too fanactic, or lack of info, out of their mind, or they really been deceived by the satan.

4. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

The verse is long and complicated  and so it is open to interpretation.  Many people disagree on the interpretation of the word.   I suspect that many of those are not twisting the words, but rather understand them in another way.  This does not make them wrong, or self serving.   They may think this about you.

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

Jesus warns of many "False Prophets" who will come, some will even come claiming to be Jesus Himself, and proclaiming new doctorine. We must be alert and aware.
    Brother Dave.

6. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 7 years ago

Satan was the first to twist the word of God.  "Did God say...."; and look at how He 'tempted' Christ in the desert ~ he quoted one verse and left out the next one...trying to 'imply' or 'fool' our Lord.  Notice Jesus completed the Word by saying, "It is written..."  Satan disguises himself as an angel of light and so do his 'apostles' ~ the word 'light' is the same word as when we read that Jesus is the 'Light' of the world.  Lucifer means 'star of the morning', while Jesus is called 'the bright and morning star'.  The Bible prophesies that in the last days, even the 'elect' might be decieved by this false 'light', IF it were possible.  If not for the Holy Spirit, we would be led astray.  There are even people who claim they 'heard' this and that from the 'holy spirit' ~ well, if it contradicts the written Word, which we truly need to study in its original languages to be safest, then it's NOT of THE HOLY SPIRIT.  I'm pretty passionate about this subject, for I contend with this very thing daily.

7. Kristeen profile image71
    Kristeenposted 7 years ago

Judah's daughter,
    I agree with your answer totally, 100 %! You are right on! This is a very frustrating issue for me also which is why I posed the question.

In response I will just keep proclaiming the truth of God's word and let the Holy Spirit do His work.

God's word is very clearly written. There are things that are difficult for us humans to understand and there are things we simply don't understand in our human state, so we live by faith.

SteveoMc, you also have a good point.

Dave you are right on also.

XKumo, I am in agreement with you also.

imperial_han, your's is a point well taken. Satan is definitely at work among us all.

Rosemary, God tells us how we are saved. We are saved by faith through His grace and His Son who suffered the punishment we deserved for our sins when he died on the cross. We aren't able to come to faith on our own. The Holy Spirit gives us faith through the word, (the Bible) and the sacraments (Baptism & Holy Communion).

Closed to reply