Which is right? Being happy but wicked or being good but unhappy?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Jesse_Herndon profile image60
    Jesse_Herndonposted 13 years ago

Which is right? Being happy but wicked or being good but unhappy?

2. profile image52
    sallycevposted 13 years ago

I think that neither one is "right". You need to be happy no matter what but a little "bit of wicked" is good. (as long as you don't do it at the expense of others)

3. Jesse_Herndon profile image60
    Jesse_Herndonposted 13 years ago

But what if you had to chose one or the another. No middle/gray areas?

4. SilentReed profile image81
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

Then I'll try to be good at being happily wicked. wink

5. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Doesnt have to be that way only, I can be good and really joyful, I have no problems with that, as there is no guilt, or anxiety involved.

6. John B Badd profile image60
    John B Baddposted 13 years ago

Good but unhappy is better.  We are more than the sum of our parts and what we put into the world affects the world as a whole.  It is better to sacrifice ourselves for the sake of others (which is what good truly is) than to harm others for our own gain (which is wicked). 

Happiness is something we are not guaranteed in life and we do not need to give up our humanity in pursuit of it.  It is better to die with honor than to live unjustly. 

The world of ethical questions can be black and white but the real world is full of grays.  If you were allowing for the grey areas I would say be good and find happiness in being good.  I have been wicked more than good in my life and it does not make me happy in the long haul.

7. heavenbound5511 profile image65
    heavenbound5511posted 13 years ago

I would Choose rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;Heb 11:25
    for a season-If the world has "pleasure" (Greek, "enjoyment") to offer, it is but "for a season." If religion bring with it "affliction," it too is but for a season; whereas its "pleasures are for evermore." 
    The pleasures of sin are, and will be, but short; they must end either in speedy repentance or in speedy ruin. The pleasures of this world are for the most part the pleasures of sin; they are always so when we cannot enjoy them without deserting God and his people. Suffering is to be chosen rather than sin; there being more evil in the least sin, than there can be in the greatest suffering.
    Sorrow and joy are firmly linked. Perhaps it is because the deeper we experience sorrow, the more capacity we have for joy. God has planned a bright and beautiful morning full of joy. The Bible tells us this over and over:

Weeping may go on all night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30:5, NLT)

You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, (Psalm 30:11, NLT)

Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy. They weep as they go to plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the harvest. (Psalm 126:5-6, NLT)

I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing.
    (Jeremiah 31:13, NLT)

Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.
    (John 16: 22, NIV)

There are seasons in our life when we will mourn and have sorrow. But, there are also seasons of our life that are meant for joy.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~So when the end comes those who suffer for ~righteousness sake, for doing what is right, they will be happy ~& enjoying it for eternity. So I would rather suffer for a better ~reward than just a season of the pleasures of sin. ~ ~ ~ ~smilesmile

* * http://hubpages.com/hub/Dead-Surprise

**http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Icebreaker

**Love Me Or Love Me Not-http://hubpages.com/hub/If-You-Love-Me

8. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

What is it that is happy in this instance of wickedness you talk about?   Is it - whatever it is - always happy when wicked and unhappy when good?   Surely not.  I suspect you're talking about some self-indulgence  which makes you feel good physically.   Nothing wrong with that, providing it is not hurting you in the long term or anyone else in either the short or the long term.   

Do you regard it as wicked because someone else has told you it is and you've accepted that viewpoint.   If you have, there is immediate conflict, a part of you wanting to be wicked, another to be good.  But is either of these two parts of you the real you?    You, and only you can determine that for yourself.   And once you start finding you can do  that fairly regularly, you probably wont need to ask the question any more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)