jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

I read somewhere that being happy is a matter of choice and not destiny. What's

1. Alfursan profile image59
    Alfursanposted 7 years ago

I read somewhere that being happy is a matter of choice and not destiny. What's your opinion?

2. MythiliK profile image66
    MythiliKposted 7 years ago

Yes I do believe in it.

I am a kind of mixed person, happy when something happens good and sad when something goes wrong. But my husband is like "Oh the world will get sink into the ocean in another 3 hours? so you mean I still have 3 hours to enjoy" kind of person....

I will cry thinking of just 3 hours to die whereas he will remain happy thinking still 3 more hours in hand to live.

So, yes... being happy is a matter of choice.

3. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

Being happy is certainly a matter of choice.
    We're in charge of our own lives, and responsible for what happens in them.
    And besides, who better to know what makes us happy, than us?
    smile

4. FloBe profile image80
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

Happiness is a choice, but not always an appropriate response to all that happens in life. There can sometimes be very difficult things in life that require people to grieve and not just "pretend" happiness. There is a place for every kind of emotion, not just happiness. I think in our society there is so much emphasis on being happy all the time that we think it is abnormal if we have any other emotion. Are we afraid of the other emotions? Perhaps that another question smile

5. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 7 years ago

Happiness definitely appears to be a choice. There are situations which seems in and of themselves to produce happiness but ultimately it's the person's choice.

6. Dmian profile image59
    Dmianposted 7 years ago

For me destiny is such a sad word... it means we have no choice.
    but for your question, being happy is a state of mind wich fluctuates you cannot always be happy but you can learn to be happier and enjoy the little things in life.

7. tiffany delite profile image75
    tiffany deliteposted 7 years ago

i believe that happiness is a choice. i also believe that happiness is a state of mind. of course, there are other normal natural emotions that we will all feel for various reasons during the course of our lifetime, but we can modify our thoughts, exercise our minds, and choose to think about and do things that create positive, uplifting, happy energy in our lives. at the same token, we can focus on the opposite, which would obviously have the opposite affect. i am happy by choice, and i love it! blessings!

8. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

Happiness for anyone is simply a case of mind over matter. I don't mind what goes on in my life, and nothing in this life matters, except serving God.

9. gulnazahmad profile image64
    gulnazahmadposted 7 years ago

It certainly is a matter of choice otherwise all those people who live with poor resources would have done suicide. Happiness is something you have to find yourself, destiny can give you wealth, and benefits in life but some people are even not happy even with all wealth and resources.
    J K Rowling as said that "happiness can be found even in the darkest of times just remember to turn on the light"

10. Carrie DeSha profile image55
    Carrie DeShaposted 7 years ago

Ironically, as we strive to bend the world to our will, the way we perceive the world is the only thing over which we have any real control.  Knowing we can control our attitudes, it seems simple to choose happiness but I have found it is easier said than done...

11. profile image76
    soumyasrajanposted 6 years ago

Interesting question Alfursan! I saw it only now. Before getting into it one has to  find out what exactly one may mean by being happy. For example suppose you are very happy and suddenly you find out misery or pain of some body else. Will the state of happiness continue? Perhaps not?  If one goes into it, it seems what we generally consider happiness may be never ending exercise and just fluctuations.

Only way out seems to be to learn to be detached. Consider each act or action at each moment as just a game and try to learn to be a detached observer, even when you are taking the action.There is an old saying in India - do your work but not worry about results. Essentially it asks one to learn detachment, that may lead one to work with full force and success and also prepare one to accept failure happily and put more efforts, next time. Success for  being happy lies in achieving this state of being detached. Once you are detached from your actions and start enjoying them more  as a game, perhaps one achieves a state of eternal happiness (sanskrit word Ananda- eternal bliss describes it even better).

Ancient philosophies in India talk about an ultimate state of such happiness, which  is when you identify yourself so much with every event  that you feel detached from every thing, sort of you become (or identify your self with) whole   eternal-universe. Is it  same   as complete detachment too? ( identification and detachment are to some extent the  same). That should be ultimate happiness. I discussed this in one of my article http://hubpages.com/hub/Truth-what-it-is

Can one achieve it? I do not know. It seems quite feasible at least. After all if every thing is just a game, why become so pessimistic and consider it to be destiny.

12. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

I believe being happy IS a matter of destiny.

Realistically speaking, life will always get in the way and there will always be situations that will test your patience and well-being, BUT as a Christian, I believe we are all destined to live an overcoming life.

And there is certainly joy and happiness in the hope of attaining that.

And you can choose to experience joy and peace despite your circumstances.

And nothing gives me that more than the relationship that I have with God.

It just something about the peace and calm God gives that doesn't compare to anything or anyone else in this world! 

A few of my favorite Bible verses on experiencing happiness are:

“I leave you peace; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don't let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27

“Those who love your teachings will find true peace, and NOTHING will defeat them.” Psalm 119: 165    

“'I will give peace, real peace, to those far and near, and I will heal them,' says the Lord. But     evil people are like the angry sea, which cannot rest, whose waves toss up waste and mud. 'There is no peace for evil people,' says my God.” Isaiah 57:19-21

working