Why do people think its acceptable to pick n' choose what they believe about the

1. cresandsuzanne profile image59
    cresandsuzanneposted 7 years ago

Why do people think its acceptable to pick n' choose what they believe about their religion?

2. alfredfox profile image77
    alfredfoxposted 7 years ago

I know it seems very hypercritical but I believe that you can believe in a religion 100% but only practice it 50%. For example, I am a catholic and my religion states that I can not have sex out of wedlock, but I have, many times. I still believe in my religion 100% but I don't practice it 100%, it may make me a bad catholic, but I am still however a catholic despite this. Good Question.

3. Nick B profile image79
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

I thin it's because often the religion is difficult to follow 100% in this day and age.

For instance, if there was a Catholic couple or a couple who practised another religion that doesn't believe in birth control, they should really not indulge in sexual activities. Although they may be married, they may not be able to afford to bring up a child at that time.

The responsible thing to do therefore, would be to not get pregnant.

The fact is, Catholicism dictates that all forms of birth control are wrong.

The couple cannot therefore have sexual intercourse for fear of pregnancy - according to their religion that is. So they may choose to disregard that and use contraception.

They still believe they're a good God-fearing couple - as well they may be, but they are disregarding at least one of the rules of their religion.

Religion rarely changes with the times and in the above instance, I feel that particular rule is not workable for all practising Catholics and may answer - at least in part - why some may choose to disregard certain religious laws.

working