WHAT IS TRUTH? TRUTH SEEKERS WELCOME

Jump to Last Post 51-68 of 68 discussions (291 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Another scientific approach for the existance of God is that everything cannot come from nothing therefore everything had to come from something in order to avoid infinite regression (a thought with boggles the human mind) and therefore God must act as the first cause. This is a simplified version of the Cosmological Argument.

The truth is that we know not how we came to be. Science and religion can co-exist as long as you take some of what is said in holy books as metaphorical, in order to teach us a lesson rather as literal truth.

2. profile image0

Wow I've written alot...

1. underhiswings profile image61
      underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let another man praise you and NOT yourself.

3. underhiswings profile image61
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

58. "We are but a moment in time, spend your moment with ________"

4. profile image0

You are insufferable and damn right insulting.

I know precisely what I mean, to think I thought you had some good ideas and was actually going to email you stating so. Now I am glad.

I am not confused. I have spent hours and hours studying what other people believe and ethical points. Also I was not praising myself, I was merely stating a point. I had written alot.

My sentences do not contradict, only to an extremely closed mind, my point is the world may not even exist. Take that into account and *bam* my argument makes perfect sense.

'The Truth' was a concept thought up by plato well over 2200 years ago. News flash that it was not any religion but a man contemplating life, the universe and everything. What we now know as religion took his realm of the Forms and used it was is now known as heaven. He took a polytheistic religion and made it monotheistic. Sound familiar? YES. It is what all religion uses today so don't try and preach to me, I know my stuff and I am sure that people in this forum do not like being preached to either.

The simple truth is that we do not know the truth. For all you know I do not exist, that is truth. You know your mind exists, that is all you can be scientifically certain of.

The answer to your attempt to comprehend what I posted with your 1, 2, 3, 4 answers is simple. NO. You cannot be sure of any of them. If you are in 6 by 9 cell and you shut your eyes you may aswell be anywhere on the planet.

Also, do not try and talk down to me. I tried to support your argument and I am a member of the English National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youths and am with in the top 0.05% of the country, including people with degrees. The reason for the spelling errors is that it is 2am over here.

To think I actually tried to support you with your argument and you just shouted me down. How rude. You misundersood my points and tried to shout down a 17yr old. How nice of you.

5. profile image0

Yes, I know in that I probably broke every forum rule on hubpages but to be brutally honest, I really don't care. That was damned insulting.

One thing people should learn about British grammar school boys is that when it comes down to intelligence we do not like to be talked down to like we are four year olds who do not know what we are saying. Especially when it is one of the most prestigious schools in the entire world and they are straight A students.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to hubpages Andrew.
      No, you haven't broken any hubpages rules.

People like quietnessandtrust / underhiswings are just sad, pitiable creatures who appear to have nothing else to do but provoke and attack others who are trying to participate in the forums.

He's both a troll and a spammer, and you'll find quite a few like him here.

Ignoring and not responding to them is an effective way of dealing with them.

You'll also find some really great people here at HubPages who will really appreciate your comments.

Regards,
      Eric G.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Support from me also. You have done nothing wrong by those of us who are here as you are, to write and be heard without being a crazed zealot!
        Welcome Andrew, I look forward to reading your work.

2. underhiswings profile image61

OK, here is what I do, before I get to what you do.
      2 Corinthians 10:5
      I demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and I take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ....Inasmuch as I refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God; and I lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ the Messiah, the Anointed One.

I do this because I have His mind and use it to combat foolishness.

L. Andrew Marr on HubPages
      "Remember my name - One day I will be poet laureate!"

My that is a very large boast, not even to say that "I might be"...but that you will be.
      And this from someone who is not even sure if they or we or you exist?
      All of you education has brought you to a conclusion of confusion young man.
      When one is a mere 17 year old, they are NOT a man yet and say things they do not understand. It's OK to be a teenager and make statements that come from a lack of wisdom at such a young age. It is expected.

As far as this comment goes young man.
      "Especially when it is one of the most prestigious schools in the entire world and they are straight A students."

I shall remind you that Messiah is NOT interested in your intelligence level, He chose fisher men to turn the world upside down and NOT the wise, and NOT the noble, He chooses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

With all of your education and learning, your biggest hurdle, besides figuring out if you exist or NOT will be to humble yourself under the Mighty Hand Of God and proclaim that you know nothing.

And if you think a perceived insult is all it takes to get your feelings hurt, then you have a lot to learn about knowing God. Jesus was insulted constantly and it bothered Him not one iota.

You also said:
      "My sentences do not contradict, only to an extremely closed mind, my point is the world may not even exist. Take that into account and *bam* my argument makes perfect sense."

To exist: "To be manifest in any manner; to continue to be"
      1-Are you manifest in any manner?
      2-Do you continue to be so?
      3-Can you exist without water and food?
      4-Does your mother exist or did you fall out of the sky?
      5-Do your parents exist and did they conceive you by having sex?
      6-Does you education exist?
      7-Do your poems exist?

You went on to make this naive statement
      "The simple truth is that we do not know the truth. For all you know I do not exist, that is truth"

YOU may NOT know the truth, but I DO, as I said before, The Truth is The Living Messiah, The Christ, Son of God, The all knowing One.

And none of your high minded educational mental gymnastics can change that. He is unchangeable and without beginning of days nor end of years.

You mentioned:
      "I am a member of the English National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youths and am with in the top 0.05% of the country, including people with degrees"

The only thing about 0.05% you need to wrap your head around is that all of that means nothing, your intelligence was given to you and it can be taken away from you in an instant, a twinkle of the eye. You could be deaf or dumb or blind in one day. It has happened to people like you before. So no need to boast young boy.

And then you say that none can be sure if someone is real, if they are alive or if they are dead....ummmm....well...your parents seem to have spent a lot of money at the English National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youths, because it's best student does not know if he is alive.

Oh, and by the way, the 3 or 5 or 7 guys who ran to your aide and patted you on the back with all of they're polite complements....yes, they are all atheists...copy?

Your attitude to this young man speaks volumes about you, not him.
        Your comments are condescending and ageist! Being 17 is not a disease. I know many young people who have amassed an enormous amount of knowledge,
        Your religious views typically make you narrow minded and your ego cannot tolerate other opinions..

23. "If you have only a thimbleful of experience, then please do not share with me from your barrel-full of opinions.
          Thank you.

If you want to fill a larger container with understanding, wisdom and knowledge, then realize why you have 2 ears and only 1 mouth"

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a terrible thing to have polite compliments for people who have been insulted by a troll.  If there is a god and you are speaking in his name I certainly would not have any faith in him/her/it.  You would certainly end up in the hell you are so terrified of, if there were such a place. 

Why don't you write a hub if you know so much?  You seem to be wrong about everything you say, including characterizing me as an atheist, you lie again, I am agnostic.  Now, tell us some more lies troll.

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Eric is correct Andrew, these type of people have no friends so they try to appear superior to others with their poor attempts to seem knowledgeable.  They feel a sense of power by making others angry or insulting them.  Do not hate them as they are just sad pathetic individuals who crave attention.

You will find that most people here enjoy discussing subjects of interest but some just want to be butt holes.  Or something which fell out of one.

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

The truth? This is a ridiculous thread.

Ramen!

8. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Had enough of Quietness and trust
    With his rantings of sin and of lust?
    He seems like a bumbler
    But sure has your number
    To reveal your contempt for the just

9. underhiswings profile image61

Well said in that
    "it remains what is no matter how and where it is being used, it fears no trial."

So, is The Truth a thing or a person?
    Is there someone who embodies all truth?
    One who has no need to be taught because they know everything?

1. Buck Wheat profile image55
      Buck Wheatposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I HAVE WARNED YOU FALSE PROPHET.  YOUR PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A DISGUISE FOOLS NO ONE. NOW FACE HIS JUDGEMENT!

roll   lol

10. Buck Wheat profile image55
    Buck Wheatposted 14 years ago

SILENCE FALSE PROPHET!

lol big_smile roll

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Missed it the first time? I will repeat.

Your attitude to this young man speaks volumes about you, not him.
    Your comments are condescending and ageist! Being 17 is not a disease. I know many young people who have amassed an enormous amount of knowledge,
    Your religious views typically make you narrow minded and your ego cannot tolerate other opinions..

lol  roll   cool

12. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Why don't you write a hub if you know so much?  You seem to be wrong about everything you say, including characterizing me as an atheist, you lie again, I am agnostic.  Now, tell us some more lies troll.

He doesn't write hubs because he is a false hubber set up only to post quietnessandtrust's rantings.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For the first time in two years I was persuaded to use a naughty word with QT and had a "personal attack" snipped. lol

I love them though - they are the best argument against believing their tripe I have ever known. wink

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They certainly won't persuade anyone "sitting on the fence", but it is scary that they believe their own BS. 

P.S. I disagree with your characterization of him as a c*nt.  It's an insult to all the other c*nts.

13. underhiswings profile image61

To: Randy Godwin

You said "Why don't you write a hub if you know so much?  You seem to be wrong about everything you say, including characterizing me as an atheist, you lie again, I am agnostic.  Now, tell us some more lies troll."

His creation and the fact that He gives you life and breath is enough evidence for you. So because you not believe in Him with this overwhelming evidence, you deny Him, therefor making you an atheist by definition.

Read carefully Randy....smile

18For God's [holy] wrath and indignation are revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who in their wickedness repress and hinder the truth and make it inoperative.

19For that which is known about God is evident to them and made plain in their inner consciousness, because God [Himself] has shown it to them.

20For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification],(B)

21Because when they knew and recognized Him as God, they did not honor and glorify Him as God or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and [c]godless in their thinking [with vain imaginings, foolish reasoning, and stupid speculations] and their senseless minds were darkened.

22Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

14. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

What....

Is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Just answer the question!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that an African or Norwegian swallow?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yikes

15. underhiswings profile image61

I am the way the truth and the life and no man can come to God accept through Me.

x Jesus The Christ Son of The Living God Most High

Anyone not believing this is deceived.

16. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

[invisible mode = on]
    [target=Mark Knowles]
    Hey Mark,
    I reckon that quietness and rust under his wings has 2 penises.
    It would be impossible to for him to get THAT stupid playing with just one lol

And I predict that if he could see this post, he would come back with a clever remark about 2 heads.
    [invisible mode=off]

17. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/cartoon_snoring_man_royalty_free_080920-004809-246042.jpg

18. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Yee Haaaaaaaaa Go Susana!!!
    10 Points & a Butt Kick! lol

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Pearly me old mate smile

Whatever mood I'm in you always make me smile!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)