jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If An Atheist Is In A Meeting And Members Are To Say A Prayer, What Is He/She Su

1. ngureco profile image82
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

If An Atheist Is In A Meeting And Members Are To Say A Prayer, What Is He/She Supposed To Do?

2. niner profile image56
    ninerposted 7 years ago

I bow my head, but I do not pray with everyone or clasp my hands.  I know some people would be uncomfortable even with that, and if you are I would just sit quietly to be polite.

I don't think you need to make a statement or scene about it. If you think a prayer is inappropriate in that scenario, wait until the end of the meeting and talk to the person who initiated it.

I felt really awkward about this for a long time, but as long as you aren't disruptive no one has any reason to bother you.

3. trishool profile image78
    trishoolposted 7 years ago

do what you would do if you are in a foreign country and they are singing their national anthem. Keep silent and be respectful.

4. PragmaticAnna profile image58
    PragmaticAnnaposted 7 years ago

It's almost difficult for me to answer this question properly without knowing what type of meeting and/or member affiliation.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

for myself i just bow my head like everyone else. i'm an athiest but i respect others beliefs unless they shove it in my face.

6. Izombiheartzoey profile image76
    Izombiheartzoeyposted 7 years ago

Eat a can of refried beans the night before and speak in tongues from the wrong end.

7. Jake4102 profile image84
    Jake4102posted 7 years ago

What I've always done is what most everyone else has suggested. Sit quietly and don't disrupt anything. Be respectful to their views. Even at events that happen at a church and involve lots of religious things, just try to be polite, and if it requires doing something that everyone else is doing, just try to follow along and if you don't want to do what they are doing, politely leave for a bit. (I have snuck out to the bathroom at a communion during a wedding one time!)