jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What did Mary and Joseph do with the gold they were given by the wise men?

1. rafken profile image81
    rafkenposted 7 years ago

What did Mary and Joseph do with the gold they were given by the wise men?

One of the 3 gifts, given by the wise men, to Mary and Joseph at Jesus birth, in the stable, was Gold. There is no mention of how it was spent. What do you think?

2. jacobkuttyta profile image76
    jacobkuttytaposted 7 years ago

Hope you know it yourself. What would you do if you get some gold?

They may be preserved it for some time.  Then they had to live in Egypt for few years.  May be in that time they may use it for the survival of the family.  In a foreign land, they must have some money to survive at least for the initial days.  Till Joseph get some work!

It it ware preserved for a long time, it could have mentioned in the history or in the bible.  So we may come to the conclusion that they may use it at Egypt.

3. Al Blondin profile image59
    Al Blondinposted 7 years ago

If one brings up that part of the birth narrative, I am assuming that whatever else the New Testament says on the matter is fair game.
    Jacob....'s (he looks suspiciously like Angelina Jolie! On the other hand, that is my ugly mug on my profile pict) statement above makes sense. The narrative states that not long after the birth, Joseph and Mary were compelled to travel to Egypt and church tradition relates that they spent quite a while there. It is reasonable to suppose that whatever amount of gold they were given cameĀ at a pretty good time. Is this mere coincidence or part of a divine plan?
    Many Bible scholars support that theory. It makes good sense. It is still speculation, but at least there is some basis in the delivered text to support it. There was no UHaul truck to bring their stuff, they had to leave in a hurry, probably with what they had on them. It would probably been impossible without the gift of gold. There is also significant symbolism in the gifts chosen by the magi, I suspect that the symbolism is the reason it is in the narrative in the first place, what they did with it afterwards is pretty irrelevant, that is likely why it is not specified.

4. onegoodwoman profile image78
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

Some speculate that it was spent while fleeing to and living in Eygpt.  Some say, it was put aside for the education of Jesus.

The Bible simply does not say..........it is safe to think that the young parents did the best they could with the choices they had.  Just like the rest of us.........addressing the most immidate needs first, with whatever funds were available.

5. Lady Rose profile image73
    Lady Roseposted 7 years ago

I think it was just supplied by the wise men at the right time, just  came in  handy when they needed money to live on. Shortly after the wise men left Bethlehem, Herod decided to kill all children under 2 years old, and Mary and Joseph managing to escape, they had to flee and hide in Egypt for a few years, until Herod died and they were advised by an angel to return to Nazareth where Joseph had his carpenter's workshop. I believe that the gold helped them survive during that time.