jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

has any religious prediction ever come true?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

has any religious prediction ever come true?

i'm not talking about how you percieve the prediction but an accurate prediction.

2. clark farley profile image75
    clark farleyposted 7 years ago

..."as it was in the beginning, so shall it be in the end..."

(cheery thought, no? perhaps a cautionary sentiment to those who think that change is natural and even easy)

3. Shay Kochba profile image58
    Shay Kochbaposted 7 years ago

That's an extremely difficult question to answer.  For many ancient prophecies, we simply do not have enough evidence of either when the prophecy was actually recorded or whether the events actually came to pass. 

To use the example given earlier of Jesus being born in Bethlehem, there are no contemporary sources (despite the obsession of the Romans with recording contemporary events and extensive Jewish writings from the same time period) that indicate Jesus even existed much less where he was born.  Christians take it as an article of faith of course that this occurred and it is recorded as such in their bible.  Many Christians also believe that their bible is a contemporary source, although scholars dispute when it was likely written due to textual clues.

To be fair, the same is true of Jewish sources.  The Jewish bible records a prophecy that the Jewish people would be enslaved in Egypt and then freed, but the prophecy is vague at first glance and there is no real scientific evidence of the Exodus.  However, the Jewish people take it as an article of faith that the Torah is correct that the Exodus occurred.

In a nutshell, it's all whether you want to believe in the prediction . . . and how you interpret the prediction in the first place.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image78
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

I think this just goes to prove the old adage.... Ask a Damn Silly Question, you are going to a lot of Damn Silly Answers....

And you Did !

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

People have been predicting wars and famines for centuries.  It's a no brainer and will always come true.

Here I go... I predict there will be more wars.  Try to prove me wrong.

If someone can predict something it means that the future is fixed and nothing you do in your life can change anything no matter how hard you try to be good or evil... i.e.  if the future is fixed then all your actions are predetermined.

Many people predict things, in finance for instance, but the preditions are based upon statistical likelyhood.

That is not a prediction but an educated guess.  And they aren't always correct.

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

so the answer to my question is NO. i have read the bible years ago but due to the way it is written , i forget most of the specifics. i couldn't think of any predictions that were even close to accurate . religion itself is something that is so up for interpretation and i find it funny how many people commented but not one gave me an actual answer that was correct. things that make you go hmmmm.Dave, there are no historical finding that prove the bible's stories. not one. please at least use fact , not opinion. i'm not asking alot. you were one of the people who believed that eve was adam's first wife so you prove your knowledge is based only on the bible and not historical teachings as you like to call it.

7. getitrite profile image79
    getitriteposted 7 years ago

No, and if something vaguely resembles a prediction coming true, it is purely coincidental.

working