jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What would happen if the world were to spin in the opposite direction?

1. escribir profile image60
    escribirposted 7 years ago

What would happen if the world were to spin in the opposite direction?

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image72
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago

I'm thinking the instant it changes it's rotation we will all be thrown into space. Guess I didn't pay much attention to what would come after that, cause it doesn't really matter.

3. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

If it were to happen gradually where earth were to gradually slow it's rotation to a halt and then reverse its rotation, I believe science has said that we would all be burned to a crisp when the rotation stopped.

4. Right On Time profile image63
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Lets keep dancing....                                                                        .

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

If that were the natural order we would notice different weather patterns than we experience now... that is to say, if opposite rotation were the natural order, then our weather patterns would be drastically different than what we experience now... likely we would have far more rainfall where it is dry now and vice versa.

If the world were to slow down and stop that would pretty much be the end of the world... likely all life would die, the Earth would freeze over with ice, we might lose our atmosphere.

6. Lisa HW profile image76
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

People would get dizzy and lose their balance - and then everyone would start going in the opposite direction from the one they were originally going in, and people who wanted to go to California from New England would end up in France.     smile   Or maybe not.  Don't pay any attention to my answer here.  I seem to be dizzy....

7. C.V.Rajan profile image76
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Ignoring totally the natural calamities associated with the earth coming to a stop before starting to rotate in the opposite direction, the only major change would be that the sun will rise in the west and set in the east!!