Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a sta

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. ChilliWilly profile image60
    ChilliWillyposted 13 years ago

Stealing is immoral, right?  But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child?

2. Cow Flipper profile image75
    Cow Flipperposted 13 years ago

I believe the line is murky. I believe that if you are willing to suffer the repercussions of the theft to feed the child then it is a just cause. If I were a store owner and someone took money or food to feed their child because they had no other choice I'd be more than willing to be charitable to that person and their loved ones. I'd drop any charges and find out how much help they needed so I could find a legal and charitable way to help them.

3. Ken Crow profile image60
    Ken Crowposted 13 years ago

If you were stealing milk, bread, carrots and meat it is one thing. If I were the judge, I honestly would probably say, "get out of here and balif take him down the hall to the food stamp department" and I would get you some help.

On the other hand if you were stealing a new Corvette to sell to a chop shop, you would be in a whole big bunch of trouble.

4. keepitnatural profile image61
    keepitnaturalposted 13 years ago

It's all down to individual circumstances -as is every crime in my eyes. You can't judge people purely based on what they have done untill you know the full story. In this case anyone would do the same if they were really that desperate, so no it is not immoral, merely survival.

5. Thesource profile image68
    Thesourceposted 13 years ago

This is a good question. I believe during the time when the Old Testament was written, it was acceptable to pick food from the farms of others to feed yourselves and your dependents, if they are hungry.

I believe basic survival is more important than following the rules of society. However, be absolutely sure if there is no other moral way to survive. In this case society is ignorant and guilty in the way they treat the poor and the needy.

What about the rich oil companies making huge profits on the backs of the working poor? What about the rich health insurance and health care provide making huge profits on the back of sick and poor? Many become bankrupt and lose their home to them.

It seem society has accepted this form of daylight robbery by the rich and powerful.

6. ahmiz profile image59
    ahmizposted 13 years ago

If you're stealing food from the rich after having tried all avenues of options (including begging and pleading, asking for charities, etc.) in order to feed a starving child, then it's not immoral in my opinion.

If you're asking/teaching the child to steal from others as well, or are stealing from people in as dire straits as yourself (or people just making ends meet), then that's immoral.

7. muffingirl1 profile image61
    muffingirl1posted 13 years ago

didnt robin hood steal from the rich and give to the poor?? today many people are starving in different countries all over the world. Today..how many of us will be sitting down to a roast sunday dinner? think of the amount of waste. you tell me now. is stealing food to give to a starving child acceptable?  i think the question we need to ask is, is throwing out so much wasted food acceptble when children around the corner are starving?

8. David R Bradley profile image82
    David R Bradleyposted 13 years ago

Have you read Les Misarables?  If not, tune in to that and get back to us.  You're asking the right question and I think the answer is a gray as a cloudy afternoon sky...

9. Jangaplanet profile image59
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

In the monetary system -aka money system, every human being on earth will sin because of it. Stealing is wrong and you would get treated bad if you were to be caught doing it. People would mock you, and shame you for it, and call you all kinds of names.You would be considered a sinner or a low life. Yet someone who steals for the sake of feeding their child, did it out of love. Now not everyone is fortunate to have money or a great job or an education. Every single human being is good in his heart, but the system lets us fail at our own goodness for the sake of surviving and feeding ourselves. So then it is not you who is sinful ,it is the system that's forcing people to sin, but not of there own doing , but for living.Love will alwys conquer all, but the system might punish you for it.

10. Fire10 profile image61
    Fire10posted 13 years ago

It would be understandable, not necessarily justifiable.  It would never be 'okay' to take something without paying for it, but that doesn't mean that all stealing is on the same level. 

Some people steal the most non-life-sustaining things!  I think it is because we have this huge misconception of what our needs really are...  especially in quite prosperous countries!

11. Dr. Wendy profile image59
    Dr. Wendyposted 13 years ago

Stealing is going to hurt someone down the line.  Even if you are stealing from some big company, their profits will be lowered and their prices go up, so guess who has to pay?  Those of us who really don't have it to pay.  I understand where you are coming from though, I really do.  You are talking about a person who is backed into a corner with headlights shining in his eyes.  There are places that will help you.  There are food banks.  Salvation Army and many other churches will help.  Apply for food stamps.  Let people know you need help.  There are people who will help.

12. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

stealing is something that is debatable as to being immoral. a lot depends on why you stole, who you stole from and what you did with what you stole.

13. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 13 years ago

There are churches that help feed hungry children.

14. dspalding profile image60
    dspaldingposted 13 years ago

great question.  i believe morality and religion are relative.  usually, someone believes that something is "immoral" if it's something they would not personally do or believe in.  i think feeding a starving child is far more important than upholding a moral standard.

15. profile image0
    jasper420posted 13 years ago

there is a road between right and wrong its called circumstance not everything has an answer and not every answer is black nor white grey exists

16. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 13 years ago

Stealing is not an excuse. i would chose begging instead of stealing.
    you could get killed, arrested, or hurt.

17. luckycharmz profile image60
    luckycharmzposted 13 years ago

I believe that stealing is always morally wrong.  But the question is why does a person get to the stage of stealing in order to feed the family.  Is someone stealing from him, like the banks, or the government, or because it is a result of credit card debts.

The same situation happened in France when a loaf of bread costs millions.  People were stealing bread just to survive. 

Marie Antoinette couldn't relate to them, hence her infamous words: "Let them eat cake."

18. Pagelift profile image60
    Pageliftposted 13 years ago

I would steal for a starving child, any day. It would be harder for a child to steal for themselves, and if I had to, to save a life, I would steal for them, without losing an hours worth of sleep at night.

19. Tirzah Laughs profile image59
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

Greater immorality.

Allowing a child to die through starvation and neglect is immoral.

Theft is immoral.

Theft is less immoral than causing death through inaction.

20. micahjoy profile image59
    micahjoyposted 13 years ago

first of all, i highly doubt stealing would ever be the ONLY WAY to feed a starving child.  If someone were asking for food to feed a starving child, many people/places would help. Unfortunately, many people either beg for, or steal MONEY... which makes things blurry because while money can BUY food, money is NOT food and will not feed a starving child, and even people that beg for money under the pretense of helping their families often use the money for other things.  (I once gave a dollar to a man outside a grocery store who wanted to "get some food"... and then later saw him in the liquor store. awesome.)

I honestly don't think I've ever heard of food being stolen - if someone went into a grocery store and stole bread, milk, cheese and vegetables to feed a starving child, that would be a first.

...not to mention, if you went to jail for stealing, THEN what would the child do? You'd be hurting more than helping, really.

21. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

"Sstealing was only way to feed a starving child" seems rather exaggerated. Perhaps the one who was so curious to feed a starving child found stealing as one of the easiest options at that point of time, instead of exploring any other avenues. His ethical and moral standards perhaps were only that much. He had no serious qualms about stealing and he found it a convenient excuse to justify a "noble" cause!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)