Do you think it is OK for people to steal food to feed their family?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Cutters profile image60
    Cuttersposted 12 years ago

Do you think it is OK for people to steal food to feed their family?

2. Maggie-May profile image73
    Maggie-Mayposted 12 years ago

Oh my, what a question... Stealing is not good at all.  I do believe that food is a need, whereas so many other things aren`t--If it came down to a choice of my children starving to death or becoming malnourished and the only option I had in life would be to steal for their health, to feed them then, and only then would I.  But, I do believe there are always other options..In my case there has always been options--perhaps, and most likely I`ve been pampered compared to the millions of others that haven`t.....Very debatable question!!!

3. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Not okay!

But it's also not okay for others to stand by and allow people to starve.

And once the emergency is over, teach them to "fish," so that they can feed their family for a lifetime.

4. shamani67 profile image60
    shamani67posted 12 years ago

There should never ever be a need to steal food. There are charities that you can go to for food and I am certain that if one asked for help after explaining their situation that anyone decent would help out.
    In Australia you can legally kill stock (sheep, cattle etc) if you hang the hide over the fence indicating that you have taken the beast for food.
    There are plenty of supermarkets also that will throw out food that is still perfectly good for consumption. Just talk to the manager and explain your situation.
    Hope this helps

5. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Think the problem is that next month some families will be the first to be cut food stamps and cash assitance with no jobs. Fortunately the government created this scenario where people don't have jobs because they have sent many of them out of the country, the economy was bad lacking jobs and some states, and now cutting the budget by slicing and dicing the non-profits and food assistance. This is the thing does our Government really care if people starve, have shelter, or jobs. It's easy to say get a job, but if you don't bring the jobs into states, how can they get a job. We complain about taxes, that people are on welfare. It's the poor anymore it's the middle class and growing upward. Those food non-profits are already running out of food, and grants are cut, and left is local donors. When they no longer support, the agency goes down, and no food! Than this question will be answered, they will know it's not right to steal food, but if you have no other choice? People already climb in dumpsters looking for food. The police arrest those that hand out food without a permit. It's going to be wild to see what happens starting next month. sad

6. moiragallaga profile image77
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

Stealing food is never right, even to feed your family. It is wrong and once you go down that road, it can escalate. Soon stealing food becomes stealing for food, what may start as a crime against property might soon become a crime against a person as long as the motive is to feed your family. If this act were to be condoned, what would happen to humanity? With the alarming rates of poverty and hunger in the world, if stealing food were to be considered okay we are going to have a really big problem. It is a situation that could lead to the unraveling of the fabric of society and a diminishing of respect for laws and proper behavior. 

I agree with the other posters here, something must be done to address hunger and poverty so that there is no recourse or motivation to break laws and cause harm in order to meet a very basic human need. In fact, efforts must be made before it is too late and social unrest can be avoided.

I am from a developing country where poverty, hunger and crime are really serious problems. While I am fortunate not to have experienced hunger or want for basic necessities, I am witness to people who do and the things they do to cope with their situation without having to resort to crime. Despite their impoverished situation, they would rather live in a garbage dump and rummage for scraps than commit a crime. This is why I can say that it isn't right to steal food. Consequently, I believe it becomes incumbent for government to do something about that situation while these people still have respect for the law despite their circumstances.

7. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 12 years ago

Well, I and others like me who answer similarly might very well be accused of relativism.  So be it.

The only question for me is:  from whom is the food being stolen?  If the family, company, individual, organization, et cetera is not wanting - ie, they are of the means to feed another day and indeed enjoy comforts your loved ones do not, then I do feel it is morally forgiveable, if not outright justified, to steal food to keep you and your loved ones from going hungy.

The only other condition I'll offer up, and this really only to appease the more "bootstrappy" conservative types out there, is that if you are able to earn the bread honestly, through "the sweat of your own brow" or "an honest day's work", and all the other finger-wagging tenets, then you must take that route.

Stealing to eat out of necessity is forgiveable and warrants prayers and a helping hand from those so disposed.  Stealing as an alternative to working for it - either a Mcjob, or on your own fields, is immoral and unfair.

8. wedmed profile image61
    wedmedposted 12 years ago

as long as the methods justify means.. When you are cornered you are ready for anything. Of course, murdering people for food is unacceptable at all. However, stealing food.. well i think it is no big crime

9. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

It is definitely not wrong if someone cares for his family. Most people who have opinions about this have never been in that situation so they do not know what they will do if faced with that problem. It is really easy to say that it is wrong and condemn someone for doing it but God forbid it never happens to you!
    Everyone one here will steal or beg if they don't have money to buy food to feed their family unless they are inhumane and hate their family.

10. profile image0
    Majadezposted 12 years ago

I don't think it is right to steal anything.  However, I can accept crimes of desperation such as stealing food.  It doesn't mean that the person is a "criminal" in the true sense, but rather desperate to survive.  Can you really punish somebody for that?  For those of you that have read Hugo's Les Miserables, this reminds me of the reason for Jean Valjean's imprisonment (I believe he stole a loaf of bread).
    It is the other malicious crimes that scare me because they lead to questioning morals and a sense of humanity.  It is then not about the need to survive but the malicious harm of others that is the case.

11. HSanAlim profile image60
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

I do not condone someone stealing to feed their family but ...

I do believe a responsible parent or head of household will do what ever is necessary to take care of the basic needs of their family.

12. ezeiglerwriter profile image60
    ezeiglerwriterposted 12 years ago

It is never ok to steal anything. Stealing is taking something that does not belong to you. How can that be "right?" It isn't. I have had less than pennies to my name before and never once thought I was above the law. How do I know what the position of the people I am stealing from is? What if they are that much worse than I am? Stealing is NEVER right.

13. KevinC9998 profile image72
    KevinC9998posted 12 years ago

I just wrote a hub where I ask this exact question.  I believe the answer all depends...  Kevin

14. powerofknowledge1 profile image59
    powerofknowledge1posted 12 years ago

Most of the people will answer this question "NO". But i would like to ask these civilized people tell me why any one steal food??

Does any one ever think what is the reason behind for someone to steal food for their family?
    I am not saying that stealing food for someone family is a good act. But i think people should know what the reason behind this. I think its all about corruption, unemployment, proper education.

In my opinion if we built a society where there is no corruption everyone is educated, everyone have job then there is no need to steal food for anyone. And once our society is educated no one is going to steal food for their family and they will able to feed their family for a lifetime.

So its good to say "No to corruption".

15. Cutters profile image60
    Cuttersposted 12 years ago

It is not OK , there are many options out there to help the neediest of  family's out in this crazy world we live in today. Thank you for all your answers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)