Do you consider the 'life' of an animal to be equivalent to that of a human's? I

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. keepitnatural profile image60
    keepitnaturalposted 13 years ago

Do you consider the 'life' of an animal to be equivalent to that of a human's? If not then why not..

is it because they can't speak, because they still feel pain & suffering just as we do?

2. Retsuzen Shikata profile image59
    Retsuzen Shikataposted 13 years ago

Of course. How do you know you were not an animal before you were human in this life?

3. ahmiz profile image60
    ahmizposted 13 years ago

This is a question that has bothered me since young. I never found a satisfactory answer to it. Yes, I hate harming animals such as cats and dogs, and do consider them almost, but not quite, equivalent to a human's. But I am not a vegetarian. I eat beef, chicken, red meat, etc., and have never held the seemingly "less intelligent" or "less human-like" animals such as cows and goats in the same regard as cats and dogs. Why are some animals of higher stature in our eyes and others not? Simply because they've adapted to our notion of "intelligence" or "cuteness"? The perceived danger the animal poses probably plays a huge factor as well. What about little insects such as ants, irritating pests such as mosquitoes or dangerous animals such as venomous snakes? Personally, I definitely do not hold such animals in the same class as traditional household pets.

I know other people I've asked simply say you'd be crazy to treat an animal equivalent to that of a human's. If an animal (say, your pet dog) and a human were about to run over by a train, and you could only save one, which do you choose? If you truly valued the life of an animal to be equivalent to a human's, this would prove a true dilemma. For me, I would choose the human, but no, I do not think it is "crazy" if you chose otherwise, especially if the human is a complete stranger (or worse, some criminal) and the dog had been your lifelong companion.

Thanks for the question. I would love to hear others' take on this.

4. Georgie98 profile image60
    Georgie98posted 13 years ago

Like Ahmiz, I'm not a vegetarian either, but I too do not want harm to come to animals. However, like you say they do feel pain etc. but I believe that they are not like humans. It isn't just because they are unable to talk, they aren't capable of so many things. Their brains are not as progressed as a human's brain is. Most are very loving, and definitely know when something is wrong. But if you were to put an average person, and an average house cat in a room each given a computer and told them to switch it on and type the alphabet, which one do you think could do it?

5. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

We are animals; we just happen to be the dominant species. I favor my species, yes, but only because it is in the best interests of myself and my loved ones. If I were a member of another species, presumably I would favor it over humans.

6. Apepperson profile image61
    Apeppersonposted 13 years ago

Quite frankly, no, I don't hold animals in the same regard as humans. Humans are, well, humans! It's been proven time and time again that animals do not feel the same kind of emotions and pains that humans do. They were put here for man's use. Of course that doesn't mean we should abuse them, but then again we shouldn't treat them as something to be worshiped as idols either. Just usin' a little commons sense here is all...

It's human nature to try and apply human emotions and such to other living things.

7. Vicki.Pierce profile image69
    Vicki.Pierceposted 13 years ago

This is a question that I recently had to ponder.  My youngest daughter, who has a blue and gold macaw, lives on her own in an apartment complex not too far from home.  She called me at five in the morning to let me know that her complex was on fire and that she and her bird were standing outside in the bitter cold.

It was through that ordeal that my daughter asked, "is it bad that I considered leaving Vinnie (the bird) behind?".  My response was that it was more important that she got herself out of the complex.  I was of course happy that they BOTH made it out safely, but when it comes right down to it, human life is more important to me than that of my beloved flock. I would have been sad if something had happened to Vinnie, but would have been totally devastated had my daughter gotten trapped in a burning building trying to save the bird!

8. Lazer317 profile image70
    Lazer317posted 13 years ago

I have pets, and I do not believe in any abuse of animals, not even the ones we eat, although I am not stupid enough to believe that every animal I have purchased at the grocery store was treated fairly before the slaughter. Slaughter is such a violent word, isn't it?  Anyhow, I used to regard animals as equal, but after becoming a mother, I do not.  There is no question about what I would be looking to save if my home was on fire, my cats are not on the top of that list, people first.
    Also, I know that animals do not have the same range of emotions as humans, but they do have them and they do feel pain.  Do I believe animals were put on earth to service humans?  Not completely, I think there is a bit of give and take there.  So, no, I do not regard animals as equal to humans, but I do value them.

9. poorconservative1 profile image60
    poorconservative1posted 13 years ago

No. Animals are lower on the food chain, period. Sorry, I'm sure that all you animal lovers hate me now. But I can't help it, it's just the way I feel about it.

10. Craan profile image76
    Craanposted 13 years ago

The life of a person is far more valuable than that of an animal. An animal lives by instinct. Though a person may be deeply attached to a particular animal there is absolutely no value in equating the life of an animal to the priceless, precious and divine life of a human.

11. Edoka Writes profile image61
    Edoka Writesposted 13 years ago

I would never harm an animal, but they are not equivalent to a human being. I believe animals are for us to consume and utilize as humans see fit- in a respectful manner.

12. akuigla profile image61
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

Sometimes the life of animal is superior to the life of human.
    Ive seen,both as a doctor and a man, people who are nothing in every sense:cruel,selfish,murderous,greedy...
    And what to say about animals that we dont know.
    There are more examples animals saving people, than people saving people,or people saving animals.
    And,the most important:
    Animals are never sadistic.

13. danthehandyman profile image71
    danthehandymanposted 13 years ago

This hub is in response to keepitnatural's question:
    Do you consider the 'life' of an animal to be equivalent to that of a human's? If not then why not..
    I say why limit the question to animal life?
    Here's an excerpt from Tony Trewavas' work at... read more

14. danthehandyman profile image71
    danthehandymanposted 13 years ago

I tried to answer, but it was too long. My answer is now a hub page. Great question, keepitnatural.

15. Y. Kajitaka profile image60
    Y. Kajitakaposted 13 years ago

I don't consider the ANIMAL equivalent to a human being, but that does not mean they should be tortured.  In the Garden of Eden, God gave Adam rule over the animals-- but he told him to TAKE CARE OF THEM, too.  Animals are not equal with humans, but all life is sacred.

(sorry for the caps, the italicize doesn't work.  ^^; )

16. profile image0
    Mr Tindleposted 13 years ago

Obviously not, most people eat animals all of the time. (I don't know about you). I don't know anybody who eats people! So of course most don't view animals as equivalent to humans. Most consider the purpose of animals to be for human consumption and use. I am on the same page. Animals are not human or equivalent to humans, they act purely on instinct and survival.

17. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

Let me preface my answer by expressing my great love of animals. In cases, I've preferred them to people.  They enhance our lives greatly and are intuitive and sensitive companions.  The life of an animal is not equivalent to that of humans for these reasons:
    Humans are far more complex with the ability to reason and feel emotion.
    We are at the top of the food chain.
    In many views, we are created in God's image.
    During our entire lifetime, we are expected to tend to our familial ties.         
    The mere fact that we as a species are capable of genuinely loving other species, is unique.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)