What does being vegan mean to you? (For vegans and carnivores to answer).

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. sexy vegan profile image56
    sexy veganposted 7 years ago

What does being vegan mean to you? (For vegans and carnivores to answer).

2. profile image49
    in the wordposted 7 years ago

it means that you are missing a whole aspect of flavors and delicious foods that i myself being a "see food" lover..."i see food and give it a chance" kind of guy enjoy every day.. and just so you know i work out every day for an hour am 5'10 and weigh 160lb...so i am not talking with only my stomach...it is healthy to have a well rounded diet...

3. MacBradaigh88 profile image77
    MacBradaigh88posted 7 years ago

To me it means denying yourself an entire section of a truly balanced diet. While protein and fat can be gotten from plants, such as beans or legumes, it is not the same quality. Animal protein and fat is better for muscle and brain development than protein from plants, such as soy. For example, Tryptophan, that amino acid found in turkey that we blame the post-thanksgiving dinner sleepiness on, is essential to our brains production of Serotonin. Serotonin is an essential nurotransmitter for many things including, mood, regulating sleep, memory and muscle contraction. Also eating meat helps our body to process plant material with higher amounts of toxic cyanogenic glycosides. This is due to essential amino acids that are found in animal meat. (see this great article on how meat was essential to human evolution http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases … 1999a.html )

So I embrace my carnivore side. my 2 cents

4. MoneyCreator24 profile image57
    MoneyCreator24posted 7 years ago

For me it means, really only to eat what is good for our Body. However, it also means for me to separate from society, a little, because one do not share the usual eating habits.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Short-treatise- … ood-of-man

5. DanuckInUSA profile image59
    DanuckInUSAposted 7 years ago

It means depriving oneself from the pleasure of all things meaty and good.

6. sexy vegan profile image56
    sexy veganposted 7 years ago

Thanks for your input guys...
    in the word, I appreciate that, in my experience I find that I appreciate food much more as a vegan. Of course there are certain things I miss, but it’s been so long I can't even imagine putting meat in my mouth again!
    MacBradaigh, thank you for the article. Have you ever read the China Study, or anything that explains "the other side of things?" Not to change you, but just to be informed of all the positives of being a vegan?
    MoneyCreator, I completely understand the separation from society thing, it’s always been a little hard at work parties and outings, having to explain why I am vegan and then being criticized for it! Are you vegan, or just understanding of it?

7. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it mean to me that you would die in a week if you were stuck in the arctic or many other places on earth. it means that you miss out on all the awesome food available to us and that you eat only vegetables which would kill me in no time.
    i'm not saying being a vegan is wrong but it just doesn't make sense at all. imagine if no humans ate meat, we would be overtaken by animals a few thousand years ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)