jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What does being vegan mean to you? (For vegans and carnivores to answer).

1. sexy vegan profile image52
    sexy veganposted 7 years ago

What does being vegan mean to you? (For vegans and carnivores to answer).

2. profile image45
    in the wordposted 7 years ago

it means that you are missing a whole aspect of flavors and delicious foods that i myself being a "see food" lover..."i see food and give it a chance" kind of guy enjoy every day.. and just so you know i work out every day for an hour am 5'10 and weigh 160lb...so i am not talking with only my stomach...it is healthy to have a well rounded diet...

3. MacBradaigh88 profile image78
    MacBradaigh88posted 7 years ago

To me it means denying yourself an entire section of a truly balanced diet. While protein and fat can be gotten from plants, such as beans or legumes, it is not the same quality. Animal protein and fat is better for muscle and brain development than protein from plants, such as soy. For example, Tryptophan, that amino acid found in turkey that we blame the post-thanksgiving dinner sleepiness on, is essential to our brains production of Serotonin. Serotonin is an essential nurotransmitter for many things including, mood, regulating sleep, memory and muscle contraction. Also eating meat helps our body to process plant material with higher amounts of toxic cyanogenic glycosides. This is due to essential amino acids that are found in animal meat. (see this great article on how meat was essential to human evolution http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases … 1999a.html )

So I embrace my carnivore side. my 2 cents

4. MoneyCreator24 profile image59
    MoneyCreator24posted 7 years ago

For me it means, really only to eat what is good for our Body. However, it also means for me to separate from society, a little, because one do not share the usual eating habits.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Short-treatise- … ood-of-man

5. DanuckInUSA profile image59
    DanuckInUSAposted 7 years ago

It means depriving oneself from the pleasure of all things meaty and good.

6. sexy vegan profile image52
    sexy veganposted 7 years ago

Thanks for your input guys...
    in the word, I appreciate that, in my experience I find that I appreciate food much more as a vegan. Of course there are certain things I miss, but it’s been so long I can't even imagine putting meat in my mouth again!
    MacBradaigh, thank you for the article. Have you ever read the China Study, or anything that explains "the other side of things?" Not to change you, but just to be informed of all the positives of being a vegan?
    MoneyCreator, I completely understand the separation from society thing, it’s always been a little hard at work parties and outings, having to explain why I am vegan and then being criticized for it! Are you vegan, or just understanding of it?

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it mean to me that you would die in a week if you were stuck in the arctic or many other places on earth. it means that you miss out on all the awesome food available to us and that you eat only vegetables which would kill me in no time.
    i'm not saying being a vegan is wrong but it just doesn't make sense at all. imagine if no humans ate meat, we would be overtaken by animals a few thousand years ago.

working