jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do you estimate a person by his profile picture?

1. Vishaaa profile image78
    Vishaaaposted 6 years ago

Do you estimate a person by his profile picture?

2. saanj H profile image75
    saanj Hposted 6 years ago

Hi'

You can. Its on the basis of the picture used by the person to denote oneself. The choice of the pictures tells everything.

3. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

No.  It's just a picture.

4. kallini2010 profile image82
    kallini2010posted 6 years ago

It certainly makes an impression.  I would say I try to make an estimate by reading a profile.  But I just glance - something turns me off and I am out, if I see something interesting - I might keep reading.

As far as profile pictures go - I am VERY visual.  Some pictures do bother me.  But by now, I have a better feeling of people because I have seen their questions and answers.  Content outweighs visual impressions.  Some responses I don't even read.

It is the same when you meet someone for the first time.  There is a Russian proverb:

"When we meet someone, we judge him by his clothes (looks), when we part, we judge him by his intelligence."

The English version is

"Never judge a book by its cover."

But we do judge.  When I ask questions, I tend to attach pictures and every time the picture has an impact on answers.

It is called "The Power of Suggestion" - so a profile picture is a signature, a glimpse at your personality.

So, following this train of thought - since I have my profile in Black and White, what does it mean?  That I will marry a black man?  Just a thought.  Associations.  And I am eighteen years younger on it - ???  Am I so stuck in my past?

Questions. Questions. Questions.

5. chasemillis profile image66
    chasemillisposted 6 years ago

no, but an interesting profile picture will sometimes make me go to their profile page to get a closer look. And only sometimes I look at their Hubs.

6. maria.rose profile image36
    maria.roseposted 6 years ago

No we can't  because it's only pic............

7. profile image0
    CollBposted 6 years ago

No as it is just a window onto what we see through their hubs and it is the hub topics which helps us to understand the person a lot better.

8. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

I dont put a picture of myself on my profile ,preffering to use a picture of a rose from my garden.

A picture may not be the person  it is supposed to be..for instance I could post a pic of my gorgeous daughter and pretend it was me..who would know or care ? i would like to bet that quite a few  pictures posted on here as profile pictures are not the person they ae supposed to be....it does not matter at all its the HUBS they post and the input that matters, not what the person looks like.

9. akuigla profile image60
    akuiglaposted 6 years ago

Yes.
    There is an old saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words".

10. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting question.  I've put my own picture up there; sort of top half of my body.  The picture was taken perhaps six years ago.  Never bothered to change it.

On the other hand, I've seen beautiful young faces placed by people who are obviously no longer young.  In many cases I suspect that it isn't their picture at all.

Then there are those who put up pictures of Teddy bears, pussy cats and even icons.   

Like an earlier answer to this question, I go for the quality and profundity of the writing, the profile picture doesn't mean much at all.

11. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

it depends really. if the profile pic is some beautiful women but the questions are from a guy, it takes away the validity of their honesty. usually though, the pic is just that, a pic and if i look at what they have said in the past and the quality of their hubs, that's more important to me.

12. CarltheCritic1291 profile image75
    CarltheCritic1291posted 6 years ago

Good question, I think in a way everyone does. But in order to truly judge someone you need to get to know them, what their intrest are, if they write well, if you have similar intrest, etc. I hope this answered your question because it is a good one.

13. Edoka Writes profile image60
    Edoka Writesposted 6 years ago

Sometimes. If their profile picture is of them holding up the middle finger, yes. If they're barely dressed, yes. It's natural to notice outlandish behavior.

14. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

That is just the first impression when I see a picture. But I tend to judge after I have spoken to the person before profiling. I always believe that what you see might not be true until you verify yourself personally.

working