Rational argument for God, and where the burden of proof lies?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. FreeThoughtist profile image59
    FreeThoughtistposted 7 years ago

Rational argument for God, and where the burden of proof lies?

What rational argument is there for a belief in a God(s) and why does the burden of proof seem to lie with atheists/agnostics rather than those making the claim?

If there is no actual evidence then, while 'God' may still be falsifiable, it might be taken as falsifiable as Zeus (etc.) for all practical purposes; if there's proof though, provide it before our fellow Hubbers! I'm sure we're all interested to hear your insight.

And lastly, why does the burden to prove something's non-existence lie on atheists/agnostics instead of theologens and religious figures?

Be friendly ?_?

2. crankalicious profile image92
    crankaliciousposted 7 years ago

The way you've worded your questions provides the basis for explaining why this argument is kind of pointless. Athiests and agnostics base most of their beliefs on evidence. The belief in God is not strictly evidence based. It's faith based. Believing in God is about one's faith.

It is a mistake for athiests and agnostics to ask believers for proof and it is a mistake for believers to offer it because each gets in a debate with the other that is flawed from the start.

3. Jezebel28 profile image56
    Jezebel28posted 7 years ago

Why should an atheist bear his side of the burden of proof? It’s a bit like me asking someone to provide proof that there is no Russell's teapot orbiting Mars, or even no Santa Claus. All atheists are happy to conclude that there is a god, just as soon as they are presented with good evidence to back up that assertion (and I don’t mean the incoherent blabbering of ancient goat herders who thought it moral to kill their own children for disobedience, rape virgins captured during war, keep slaves or stone adulterers...

I think the Hitchens vs. John Lennox was a great debate on this topic.  I'm sure it's on You Tube if anyone is interested...

4. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 7 years ago

The error made by the theist is assuming  "god is" as the recognized default position, when the default position can only be "existence exists".  How existence exists is the basis for propositions such as, god dun it!  The one offering the proposition then has the onus to substantiate that claim.

Now, there are those who like to muse that even existence may not really exist, and they may even be right, but who cares?  If existence does not exist as our aximomatic basis, then no amount of reasoning matters as every conclusion becomes totally speculative and no idea is better or worse than another.

Therefore, the reasonable default is we and the universe are here - existence exists.  Anyone who wants to add to that default position then has the responsibility to argue their case, to show not logically, but rationally explain how any other condition preceded the default and how that change to the default was accomplished.

One is not required to disprove an unwarranted assertion; it is enough to point out the fallacy.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Frankly, my faith is of utmost importance to me, but I really could care less if someone believes and needs proof.  There is no burden of proof--it is what it is.  As a believer I am happy and I am sure if you are an atheist you are happy with your beliefs. 

Shall we just let each other sit happily in the park and enjoy the sun without argument.

6. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

to me proof is irrelevant. i don't believe in god and it's that simple. even if there was such a thing i wouldn't call him a god or worship it because he wouldn't deserve it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)