jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do most people follow God (religion) out of fear or love?

1. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Do most people follow God (religion) out of fear or love?

2. cincin621 profile image58
    cincin621posted 6 years ago

I believe in God/Jesus but what I don't believe in is religion. Jesus spoke of love and acceptance for all and I find that all religions teach to exclude people if they don't meet their "expectations". I have heard the sermons love "thy neighbor and enemies" and at the same time they make you feel like an outcast if you're gay,divorced,children out of wedlock etc.I once was a church goer alway helping out and volunteering. One day I recieved a letter telling me I wasn't giving enough money to the church. I gave what I could always money wise or helping out a function even though I had 3 children to support I gave generiously from my heart.

I really felt bad about myself after that and have never returned to church. I still pray and thank god for all of my blessings and just try to do good and spread love cause this is more true to his teachings it's man that has taken his teachings and altered them to fit his needs

3. Jonesy0311 profile image62
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Fear. Religion was developed out of fear. Fear of the unknown and the uncertainty of a life after death. People were mystified by the working of nature and the cosmos (many of which we now understand). Honestly, religion should have died out centuries ago. Perhaps then more significant advances in science would have been made and the questions would all be answered. Religion is obsolete. God is not required to explain anything in the universe. It is merely a catch-all word used by lazy people who refuse to read and attempt to understand science.

4. Born Again 05 profile image81
    Born Again 05posted 6 years ago

I follow God out of love because He first loved me. He demonstrated that love by giving His only begotten Son to die on the cross, in my place, for my sins, that by believing in Him, I could have eternal life with Him forever. Cincin621, you are right to not believe in religion. It's not about religion, but rather about a Holy God seeking to have an intimate relationship with His children; those who believe and trust in Him alone.

5. sonfollowers profile image82
    sonfollowersposted 6 years ago

I haven't exactly taken a poll or survey so I can't speak reasonably about what most people do.  Still, I don't think it matters what most people do.  You don't base truth on the opinion of the majority.  I know that I love God very much and I trust Him with my future.  That's what I do.  That's the only answer I can give that makes sense.

working