jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Does it hurt to drown?

1. cmane profile image59
    cmaneposted 6 years ago

Does it hurt to drown?

When I was younger I was put down a waterslide,when I reached the bottom I found I could not touch the ground or swim.I breathed in alot of water before I was pulled out,to my suprise while I was under the water it felt as though I was breathing air- has anyone else come close to drowning and if so,what was it like?

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

I don't know but being unable to breath is painful physically and even more so psychologically. A state of desperation unlike anything you will experience. Maybe its all in your mind as to how you experience it, whether you are prepared for the experience or not.

3. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I don't know if this is the truth of the matter or not, but I did read of a couple of accounts where people who were drowning were saved basically just before it was too late. Anyway, they described the pain as excrutiating when their lungs filled with water - like severe cramps in their chest. They also for a few seconds experienced, obviously, sheer terror. However, this horrible part only seemed to last a few seconds, when suddenly they felt a total calm, relaxation and no pain at all even although they were still aware of what was happening to them. They then saw a shadow looming over them and this turned out to be the person(s) rescuing them out of the water.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

From what I know, babies below 1 year's old can sort of breathing in water. Sometimes they are called water babies.

It maybe due to when babies are in mother's womb, they are sort of under water. I was unable to test my babies in water due to that I had the info after they were 1 year of age.

I had tried before when learning how to swim during my younger days. It is terrible feeling as my lungs felt like exploding when I was out of air under water for more than 1 minute.

My friend was able to hold his breath more than a minute. We were challenging each other to hold our breath under water.

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Since nobody has ever drowned dead and returned to life, it is difficult to know for sure.  There is a pressure in your lungs that builds and builds as you try to hold your breath, but eventually you must exhale you have no choice.

6. ninacrimaldi profile image67
    ninacrimaldiposted 6 years ago

i would imagine so, that is actually my biggest fear in dying, drowning to death.

7. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/3988806_f260.jpg

I would imagine it would be more of a feeling of panic and sudden despair and helplessness more than pain, just my opinion.

8. xXSweetiXx profile image61
    xXSweetiXxposted 6 years ago

I would imagine that drowning is quite painful. However, I am still alive and well, and can honestly say I have never experienced it.

9. ibbarkingmad profile image85
    ibbarkingmadposted 6 years ago

Yes and no. The physiological pain as well as the pain from oxygen starvation is very real. Still, when the body becomes oxygen starved, it starts to shut down things that aren't "vital" so that it can survive longer. At some point pain is shut down so near the end drowning victims that have been revived have described the loss of feeling or a numbness. Either way, drowning is not a fun way to go. I would prefer to go in my sleep personally.

10. regina s profile image59
    regina sposted 6 years ago

i have never had an experience like that...but i hear it is a very peaceful way to go...i'm afraid of water...so i hope i never have to find out!!!!!

working