If a Christian stops attending church and starts from home reading&studying his

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. gvalenoae777 profile image69
    gvalenoae777posted 12 years ago

If a Christian stops attending church and starts from home reading&studying his bible is he in sin?

many christians attend church and are no different than those who do not attend. If a person committed to Jesus, decides to no longer attend the building but loves Jesus daily.  Is making a difference in his/her community, is praying for the lost, living among them too, Using the former offering money, to bless strangers, orphans, widows, homeless directly, meeting with other believers outside on the street and reaching the world in prayer and action is that person in sin for not "attending" the once or twice a week service?

2. KamReHi profile image68
    KamReHiposted 12 years ago

Personally I do not believe it to be a sin. When I was younger I went to church just as everyone else did, but with age and wisdom I realized that I much rather have a close and personal relationship with the Lord. As you mention above, I do alot of things through out my community to help others, and also pray multiple times on a daily basis. Many establishments will say it is, but my perspective it is not. I love Him just as much now, if not more, than I did before while attending church.

3. slaffery profile image60
    slafferyposted 12 years ago

to me the bible is what you should be studying.  I do like to go to church but I believe that God has laid out His plan for us in the bible.  He has supplied us with the knowledge.  I believe there is ONE GOD and many different churches. The church is just another avenue to worship but reading the bible and building a relationship with GOD...is key.  We all sin that's inevibable.

1. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

amen and following Him not men

4. profile image54
    RTalaveraposted 12 years ago

The Word tells us to NOT forsake the assembly (church) of the saints (Heb. 10:25). Already, even back then, some believers had already made that a habit, and the writer of Hebrews warns us not to do so. He had already stated in chapter 3:13, "Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin". The fact is that we need to be in continual contact with each other in order to bless, exhort, and strengthen each other, and so counteract the flood of carnal, satanic, and worldly temptations. The Lord Jesus came to build His Church, not merely to establish one-on-one relationships with separate individuals. So Church attendance and participation is not an option; it is a mandate, and breaking God's commands is the scriptural definition of sin (1Jn. 3:4)

1. Nathaniel Ballew profile image60
      Nathaniel Ballewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer!

2. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

His church has no walls and the cornerstone is Christ not some egocentric man.    When we meet with 1 or more other believers that is the true church.   Sorry , enjoy you kool aid

3. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In Scripture, the disciples went from house to house as well.  Assembling ourselves together (who r on ONE ACCORD according to Acts 1) is necessary (Heb 10:25) but "where there r 2 or 3 gathered together in MY NAME, there I AM with them (Matt 18:20).

5. Farasucan profile image59
    Farasucanposted 12 years ago

No, not attending church is not a sin.  A sin is a willful act that violates the law of the Ten Commandments or goes against the will of God.  Neither is attending church a requirement of being saved from your sins.  Being saved only requires that you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins.
    The leaders and members of a church are imperfect just like everyone else.  Therefore, although people go to church to enhance their spiritual experience, they must be careful not to be misled.
    Going to church is a good thing, however, and people should be careful not to be spiritually weakened by not attending church or reading the Bible.

1. Nathaniel Ballew profile image60
      Nathaniel Ballewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it. Matthew 16:18 HCSB
      Jesus seemed to think that His Church was very important. It was His will for us to be a part of it

2. celafoe profile image53

sin is not violating the 10 commandments, unless you are a jew.  Jesus replace the 10 with penalty of death with 2 with forgiveness when needed.

3. profile image51

Why do so many feel that we are still under the LAW?  Did Christ die in vain?

6. antoineroston profile image61
    antoinerostonposted 12 years ago

I think it's a sad situation that people don't already read & study their Bible whether they attend church or not. It is not a sin to not go to church, the sin is to not be the church and claim to be in the fold. Small groups met for prayer and study going house to house in Acts.......I believe that is healthy and helps people develop a closer walk with Christ. However, fellowship of the Saints is important. There has to be other believers you can connect with. Now rather that is church, small group, special services, or two or three people praying and chatting about the things of God that is fellowship.

agreed

2. profile image0
      Mark Knolesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very insightful and well put

3. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where there are two are three gathered together in my name, I'm in the midst!  Matt 18:20

7. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 12 years ago

I agree with RTalavera that forsaking the assembly of believers ( church) is against God's word. But more important is the reason behind not going to church. One of the reasons could be pain and hurt caused by other believers or leaders--and this happens a lot. Holding on to such pain leads to bitterness and then unforgiveness which is then sin. 

The early church stayed, ate and ministered together. That shows that one cannot be a christian and live an isolated life. It would also hinder one's growth  and those that he or she shares the gospel with.

you have clearly drunk the kool aid

8. profile image57
    SpaceAgeposted 12 years ago

I think it all depends on the person, since God c's the heart. I personally prefer listening 2 church from the comfort of my home. each morning the stereo comes on, I listen 2 church from the comfort of bed. I do still have times when I attend services, but I mostly prefer starting my day off waking 2 radio church.

9. Nathaniel Ballew profile image60
    Nathaniel Ballewposted 11 years ago

Here is what the writer of Hebrews has to say about it:

Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.  And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works,  not staying away from our [worship] meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:23-25 HCSB)

We are supposed to be connected with the body of Christ. We all have different spiritual gifts, that are to be used with other's gifts in our church.

I understand that there may be hurts or pains from going to different churches. But we should continue meeting with others to worship and learn together. We are to encourage one another and help, pray with, and strengthen each other in our church and community.

Jesus even told Peter that He would build His church (or banded followers) on Peter's ministry. Paul was very much intended to make bodies of believers called churches.

So the most important part is that we band together, physically, emotionally, and spiritually with a group of believers. This will ensure that we work towards fufilling the great commission:

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19, 20 HCSB)

I do not believe this can be accomplished by flying solo from our couch. The Holy Spirit doesn't equip us in this way.

and the bible also clarifies that where two or more are gathered in MY Name, there I am in the midst of them.   If He is there then He approves.  So the truth is it is speaking about having Christian fellowship.  the modern "church" is not the church

2. profile image51

What great commission? Who obeyed "baptizing them..." in Scripture? Can u find just ONE disciple or anyone who did this in Scripture? Why not? Were they disobedient? Don't let "man" deceive you! Rd how the 1ST CHURCH was estab in Acts 1& 2 &

10. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT.    It does not say anywhere in the bible to go to a church.   WE ARE the church.   It says do not forsake the gathering together, and it also says where 2 or more are gathered in My name there I am also.   So as long as you have some Christian fellowship you are not violating scripture.   also many of us have been called out of the churches of men for good.  Many of us have started home churches, just like in the early church, and there you can grow without all the foolishness of one person doing the ministry.  The churches of men want to do all the ministry but that is unscriptural.   
    Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12"" for the equipping of the saints"" ""for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith
    The job of ministry is to equip the saints and let them do he ministry.
    1 Cor 14:26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
    Everyone that has something from the Lord should be sharing in an  orderly manner.   The Holy Spirit should also be allowed to change the direction of the meeting if He wishes.

1. PlanksandNails profile image79
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is someone who has not been indoctrinated by the traditions of man. The modern man-made "church" is idolatry. We are the church, the building, the temple and the sanctuary. We are "living stones." God dwells in us, not within the "four walls."

2. profile image51

"Everyone that has something from the Lord should be sharing in an orderly manner!"  Amen!  Tell your "Christian" friends this!

11. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

No.  I get a closer and more understanding of God when I study at home.  The church is good to have fellowship with other Christians

12. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

Jesus never said to attend a church in the first place so it would not be a sin.  I started on my journey to get closer to my god within me a long time ago.  That was what pulled me out of the church and also finding out some not so good information that all church's run their church.  We are only told to keep the sabbath holy and that should be a day of rest...well that even is up to arguments because many don't even know when that day is.  I read the Bible and other books too about the things that we should and shouldn't do.  Jesus didn't like the clergy for what "traditions" they keep.  I don't know why church twists that all around and so I just don't get into that and don't go to church.

13. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 9 years ago

I would not think he is necessarily in sin; although, without the Sacraments (i.e. Body and blood) you may find it significantly difficult to become Christ-like. Thus, one could argue your journey here may indeed be more difficult...

14. profile image51
    ITGWF Discipleposted 8 years ago

They would only be in sin if they do not try to pass on the Gospel, because that is a commandment. So you have to make some attempt to communicate with other people, because Jesus commanded this of His disciples. The current church system is fake, so don't worry about it, but just meet people in a pub, a park, one the street or even in your house, so that you are always making an attempt to spread the Gospel and you should be alright.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)