jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Mohandas Ghandi's views on christians

1. whoisbid profile image76
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Mohandas Ghandi's views on christians

Mohandas Ghandi said " “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.”
    Do you agree with Ghandi?

2. val777 profile image59
    val777posted 6 years ago

Ghandi is entitled to his opinion regarding Christians...  Christ was an awesome spiritual person. There has never before been one like him, nor will there ever be one like him! Jesus Christ laid down his life in exchange for the entire world to be able to receive salvation.Some Christians do struggle with following the teachings of Jesus and living a Christ-like life. And, often times, these are the ones featured in the media. However, living a successful Christian walk, can be  achieved. This requires total submission to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. After this commitment, a Christian will experience the manifestation of a Christ-filled life. Christ has provided his Holy Spirit to live within his believers, which gives them the power to live a successful Christian life.The Christian faith is extremely unique, as Christ has asked his followers to present their bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God. Although the problem with a living sacrifice, is having the ability to get off the altar! Most religious sects don't require such a strict commitment. Even though the successful Christian walk is narrow and fairly strict, it is worth every step to eventually be able to reign with Jesus Christ.

3. Rob Jundt profile image87
    Rob Jundtposted 6 years ago

Ghandi, as great of a man as he was, was off base with this quote; primarily because he was not a Christian. I know enough about other religions to know that Christianity is the ONLY faith where its followers are NOT judged by their acts. Please correct me if I am wrong. All Christians will face God after death, but will have to answer to only ONE question: Did you believe in My son, Jesus, and did you accept His sacrifice for the forgiveness of your sins? That's it. True. There are plenty of 'Christians' out there who are not under the submission or discipleship of Christ. Those people, I believe, are who Gandhi was referring to in his quote. True Christians, who are living their daily lives to be more like Christ, would be welcomed by Gandhi. Gandhi's quote is rooted in the hypocrisy of many.

4. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

Lot of Mahatma Gandhiji's quotes have been misunderstood or discussed out of the context (from which it was told) -so there is always a fair bit of discussion on exactly what he has meant.

Maybe we never know on what context he made those comments - but I am sure it will be with respect to two main principles he fought (non-violence and against untouchability ) - vis-a-vis the stand of Christ and Christians on it. (At that time - during early 1910-1940's)

The comment surely should not be associated in religious context but with respect to the prevailing social differences at that time, especially South Africa and India.

Hope I am making my point clear.

And, BTW, when I googled I happened to stumble on this site which might also give some other perspective

5. profile image9
    saisarannagaposted 6 years ago

Gandhi considered every one as the children of God. But the context in which he uttered this pertains to the behavior of people of that time and it is a more generalized view. No doubt none can equal to Jesus in love, compassion and supreme sacrifice of his own form to the Holy Cross. But how we can expect the ordinary human beings to equal to his level. It is impossible. They were the Ideals of human society. I too revere Jesus!