jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

In a dual religion home, does one religion always win out over the other?

1. aliciajfarinoli profile image60
    aliciajfarinoliposted 6 years ago

In a dual religion home, does one religion always win out over the other?

When raising children with different religions, does one get explained more often then the other one, or openly practiced while the other is more hidden?

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image73
    Cresentmoon2007posted 6 years ago

My beliefs are a little bit hidden compared to my parents. My mom is very open about hers. Mainly I think that she's uncomfortable with me being a christo-pagan. She accepts it and never judges me but I feel like she still is uncomfortable

3. Brian Burton profile image59
    Brian Burtonposted 6 years ago

Lived in a dual religion home for 16 years.  For me, one did not win out.  Both sides respected the fact the other person had a differing view and that was that.  Nobody tried to bully the other into their way of thinking.  From what I've read, this is pretty standard behavior, but not always the case.  Depends on the personalities involved.

4. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

Hi Aliciajfarinoli,

Personally I don't believe in Religion

My only belief is in Jesus

So I have no idea how I could answer your question

Kind Regards

5. profile image0
    Saugasfinestposted 6 years ago

Depends on the parents and what they want to instill in their children.

Some parents strongly advocate free choice where as some push their children to simply follow one or the other.

I grew up with semi-religious parents who followed muslim beliefs and when i was about 21 i started to follow Christianity.

Whether or not the particular religion of choice is gonna be interpreted and understood correctly by a child is totally up to the teacher like with anything else.

I've since been to Christian churches that dont focus on what i strive to get from religion and then others that completely give me what i came to understand.

The message that underlies each and every religion should be the main focus of teaching regardless of which path is chosen. "what goes around comes around" "Do not steal" "do not harm others" "honour your parents" etc

The political side of religion is open to them to indulge in when they get to an appropriate age.

6. profile image0
    alexarposted 6 years ago

This never works. Sooner or later there will be more and more fights which will lead to resentment and ultimately a ruined relationship. You may not realize it but both parties will push you farther and farther in the corner over time. The one who is more compromising will either be converted or come to a conclusion that they no longer want to be with "their kind" because it is wrong so they were taught. Trust me.

7. mitowrite profile image75
    mitowriteposted 6 years ago

But I think that if you the parents are willing to compromise certain aspects of their religion (nothing too important to each parent) and can agree on what they will and won't teach them, then it can work.

8. irfansweb profile image58
    irfanswebposted 6 years ago

Of Course @aliciajfarinoli
    How can you mix water and oil easily, there will must be a religion from which children will be inspired more....

9. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

No, it is possible that both are taught pretty equally--I have a family in mind that did this.  I have also heard of cases where the children weren't really 'taught' one or the other religion, but were (at most) exposed to various faiths.

And of course, it's also possible that both parents convert to a *third* faith--I've known this to happen, as well.

10. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

Not necessarily. I do believe some people talk about their beliefs more than others, and this can be the case within a dual religion family. But if parents are mutually respectful of one another's beliefs I don't see how either religion has a chance to "win out" over the other. My husband is devoted to his Native American beliefs and I am a devout Norse pagan, but we are very respectful to each other's beliefs. Also, we encourage our children to keep open minds to all religions so that when they are adults and may not feel either of our beliefs speak to them spiritually, they can make an educated decision on what belief system is most personably suitable for them.