To religious parents out there, what would your response be if your adult child

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

To religious parents out there, what would your response be if your adult child informed you that

he/she was an atheist/agnostic or other non-traditionalist  e.g. a None(no religious affliliation at all but believes in God), New Ager, Pagan, Wiccan, or Buddhist in terms of religious beliefs?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12174710_f260.jpg

2. moonfairy profile image75
    moonfairyposted 9 years ago

It already happened to me but I wasn't surprised at all. I raised my son without any religious affiliation because I wanted him to discover it for himself. I was forcibly raised a Catholic and had no intention of doing the same to him. So, instead of brain washing him with my own beliefs I allowed him to peruse all that is out there and make his own decisions.
    Religious beliefs are so incredibly personal and frankly I don't think it's anyone's business what someone else believes in.....and yet people stick their noses in it all the time!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A thousand applauses to you, my dear.  It is abusive to force a child into a religion.  It is beyond abusive, it is downright evil.

2. speer138 profile image60
      speer138posted 9 years agoin reply to this

can you really "force a belief" though? sure you can make a child study a belief and attend church or whatever, but how do you force a belief?

3. profile image49
      Norine Williamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is unscriptural accrdng to Prov 22:6! However, this is the world's belief! The bible doesn't say "Lv them alone,& they'll find it bcuz it's a personal thng?" Do u blv the bible or not?

3. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

The bible gives good counsel on the subject, Reference Bible Pr 22:6 Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it. 

Reference Bible 2Ti 3:15 and that from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through the faith in connection with Christ Jesus. 

There are many people that have raised their children from infancy in many fields,
    Some in the intertaiment as actors, some in sports , like golf, Tennis, swimming, and gymnastics and modeling ,

Wisdom can always accommodate what ever choices we make in life. And it really cost you nothing but your time to read. 

But we also have a greater choice ,and that choice is said to bring about the greatest wisdom ever,
    That Jesus himself have.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Joh 17:3This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
      He envite many to live out eternity in a paradise on earth.
      He never abandon that purpose , it will still take place.

4. Agnes Penn profile image61
    Agnes Pennposted 9 years ago

You asked the question in terms of a parent and an adult child. 
    If I spend all my hard-earned money to send my child to college believing this will help him later in life, yet he decides to use the money for a career that has no future at all (having previously tried it myself) I would be very sad.  I can not be angry at him since I chose to protect and prepare my child the best way I thought possible, but I would be concerned if he took my gifts, used them unwisely and ended up a pauper. 
    By the same token, eternal life should be cherished and when I find the best way to be happy eternally share this with those I love most - certainly my child.  I would be sad if he were to turn from the faith I have inculcated with my words and life-example since I've walked ahead of him painfully answering questions in my life so as to avoid him having to go through that pain as well.
    My response could only be sadness at the thought that my child could easily loose his soul.  The difference between the college example and the religion example is that life here is finite and does not transcend: we make mistakes in which a career path was taken and we take the consequences here.  The eternal life has transcendent connections: bad if you make the wrong choices, but since it is not bound by time I can pray for my child to eventually earn the graces for him and, even at his deathbed he may yet choose the path I made for him.

5. profile image0
    Shivani Galaposted 9 years ago

Good question, Grace!

I think if the parents are truly religious they won't worry about what the child believes or follows as long as he is a good human being and doesnt cause distress to others. After all the religion was created to teach people art of living.

I have witnessed this with my parents. When my brother showed he had different set of beliefs and wanted to be part of another clan, they were resistant at first, but decided to observe how he conducted his life. Over the years they have accepted it and are in harmony.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12681665_f260.jpg

There are religious parents of the more accepting, liberal, progressive, & universalist variety who proclaim that their children's religious or lack of religious choice really DOESN'T matter as long as h/she is a loving & kind person.  They contend that all is one & that God is accepting of all good.  They even aver that religion is a man made artificial, even societal construct & that God knows the heart no matter what a person's religion is or lack thereof.

More conservative, dogmatic, fanatical, fundamentalist, & traditional religious parents really cannot accept that fact that their children choose not to be in the family religion so to speak.  Such parents may even contend where did they do wrong for their children to reject their religion, choose another religion, or reject religion altogether.  They may even feel that their children is in error, even damned & will exert any means to bring their children into the fold.  Some may altogether disown their children for choosing a different religious, ethical, &/or spiritual path than theirs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)