jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does religion cause war?

1. Sottway profile image75
    Sottwayposted 6 years ago

Does religion cause war?

2. DNCalkins profile image60
    DNCalkinsposted 6 years ago

No.  People cause wars.  It's in our nature as primates.  Chimps fight over territory too.  Religions have been excuses for wars certainly, but few wars are actually caused by religion.

3. skipper112 profile image60
    skipper112posted 6 years ago

Some might have been, but I do not belive WW1 or WW2 was fought over religion, nor Korea, nor Vietmam, so after you take the big ones out. A lot of the middle east wars were fought over oil.
    yes the crusades were  Catholic against  Islam.
    yes the Easter Upriseing in Ireland was.
    No for WW1
    No for WW2
    No for Korea
    No for Vietnam.
    No For 'desert storm'
    No for 'desert storm 2;
    No for the Americian was of Indpendence, just a disagrement between Americican's and   England.
    No to the war between the north and the south, again a disagrement, and freeing the slaves.
    some of the early wars in Europe might have been, but they will have to be named.
    That is what I belive, it is so easy to blame religion, Hitler wanted power and land to feed his army and country. WW1 was such a mix up it is hard to work out who wanted what. Korea was a grap for power, pure and simple. Vietnam was left over from French Indo China, and could not be won, as we were fighting, with one hand tied behind our backs.
    Guess not much left to try and blame religion for.

Thats my thinking, anybody disagree, if you do please show me were I was mistaken.
    thank you.
    God bless '

P.S. great post Sottway , well done.

4. musclequest profile image70
    musclequestposted 6 years ago

People with different perspectives on subjects cause war,not religion.

5. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

Not in this day and age. We fight over territory, although in many cases religion is used to supplement the cause of war. In Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam I heard many Presidents and officials bless God with this war; which I find completely pathetic.

In the early years of British colonisation, many wars were fought over religion. Crusades and battles against colonies and countries with other beliefs. Although, we must ask, even if they had the same beliefs would we not have, in some way, took them over?

6. shwetha123 profile image70
    shwetha123posted 6 years ago

To become powerful, to show your strength, some times your ego may cause war. But religion never cause war. Its we human with some destructive tendency creates war not the religion.

Its my own personal thinking.

7. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

War is cause by ego -- the heart of selfishness.

It couldn't be simpler to fathom and yet harder to discern.