jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why most believers enjoy benefits of science, but speak against science?

1. jainismus profile image70
    jainismusposted 6 years ago

Why most believers enjoy benefits of science, but speak against science?

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image85
    Philanthropy2012posted 6 years ago

I think because they have the basic (human) desire to live, and their basic (human) rationality sees that medicines and science will help them, but at the same time their nurture (what they've been brought up with), their gained beliefs, mixed with the fact that they don't understand how the medicine they're taking works, are conflicting with this.

As Richard Dawkins says (something like) "you'll find that people say they're religious in a church, but as soon as they're in a hospital they become faithful in their doctors and their sciences"

The ones who speak against science negatively are probably very insecure about their beliefs. Despite everything science has done for us, to then go against it whilst still trusting it to save you shows real insecurity in your other beliefs.

Also on a slightly related note,  I've heard, and no doubt a lot of the responses to this will be something like "God created science and doctors and so science doesn't conflict with God."

Though I think they're wrong when they decide to still be Christian, Muslim or Jewish, because science greatly challenges their texts. Perhaps if God was limited to creating the Universe and that's it, maybe that argument could be made, but a personal God is surely not possible.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Science and religion both have flaws. Science we can hold and observe. However, some science is incorrect with holes and loops that can be twisted. The same goes with laws in religions. The Bible some times does not make sense and there are fights over the meanings of some passages.

4. -Astaroth- profile image77
    -Astaroth-posted 6 years ago

That is simply because those talking about religion are not in full understanding of it and those speaking of science are not in full understanding of the world and by that i do not mean their little computations and equations. As a scientist myself i fully know how deficient our sciences are, how so many things cannot be explained or quantized yet and how so many practices in out religions turned out to be scientifically proven to be the correct way to go about things.
    A well educated religious man can easily see how science keeps proving our beliefs  around every corner and instead of contradicting they consolidate each other.  I am not an expert on other religions only on mine, Islam, but from what my mom says Christianity is the same in so many aspects except for the obvious disagreements those to disciplines have.

1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
      Darrell Robertsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well thought out answer.

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image85
      Philanthropy2012posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Except for the fact that for every one thing that, with a lot of twisting and bending, religions have got right there are a hundred for what they got wrong.

E.G. the Qu'ran states that man is made out of clay (not helped BY clay but made from it).

5. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

there are many different area's of science. I think believers only speak against things like evolution.