jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

How can high-strung people calm down enough to get results during meditation?

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

How can high-strung people calm down enough to get results during meditation?

2. S Kenneth Smith profile image60
    S Kenneth Smithposted 6 years ago

I tried to answer your question; however, apparently I'm a bit long-winded because my reply was too long.  I guess I'll have to create another hub... Stay tuned..... smile

3. Sri T profile image80
    Sri Tposted 6 years ago

Start with a mantra, or chant the word peace for 10 minutes. They can also use ambient music. There are also guided meditations available. Products by Robert Monroe and Dick Sutphen are also effective. For those who like adventure, there are light and sound machines and alpha, theta and delta brainwave cds that work rather quickly.

4. cloverleaffarm profile image76
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

Use a focus object.
    When you find your mind drifting out....just bring it back into focus. This will take some time to learn.
    You can have meditation music playing in the background.
    Also, you can make or buy meditation tapes. This tapes can help you train to focus.

5. choboo2 profile image57
    choboo2posted 6 years ago

Yes we can. Sometimes it mearly takes a little longer to get results. With time and quiet and person hyped up on caffine could get results.

6. profile image57
    wim99posted 6 years ago

Easy Grasshopper,
    That is an ancient Chinese secret that upon reflection, must be answered from within. Just as all answers are right for your question that contain a drop of peacefulness on the buttercup of the wings of a thousand butterflys.

7. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Good question! I've helped a lot of people do this in my 25 years as a meditation teacher. One approach is: Get a lot of exercise before you meditate! Burn off the energy.

Chanting is another way - a form of meditation that focuses our energy.

And, in silent meditation, learn to be aware of the breath, then to deepen the breath and lengthen the outbreath. Then, from there, allow natural breathing to take over, and all excess tension falls away.

8. Michelle Hope profile image61
    Michelle Hopeposted 5 years ago

really stress out and can't calm down try some "kava tea" it will either calm you don't or put you straight to sleep. I can get really high strung when I had a rough day at work.

Try a couple different brands of tea but i like "Kava Tea" (no sugar,no cream) it seem to bring a sense of relaxation almost immediately. Then you be calm enough once you had some tea plus a hot shower or soak in the tub 'first before meditation'.

Play soft music with candles once I'm out the shower or tub and walk into my room for meditation with (tea in hand) "soothing soft music and candles"  I'm really for meditation and relaxation.

1. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your perspective, but I'm a little concerned with the recommendation of kava tea. I've been around people drinking kava, and the energy doesn't feel good. I would not try it.

2. Michelle Hope profile image61
      Michelle Hopeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What you mean their energy doesn't feel good from drinking Kava tea. I do see it not for everyone due to medical condition or etc but it up for each individual to decide. what do you feel around people that drinks kava tea"? I drink it twice nothing?

3. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Michelle - I hope you understand I am making no criticism. Yes, each decides. I work deeply with meditation & yoga. Some herbals that are fine for many people are not compatible with intensive spiritual work. I'm think kava might be one of the

4. Michelle Hope profile image61
      Michelle Hopeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Google "kava meditation" you don't drink the entire cup all you might need is a sip or two very slowly. Try any tea your comfortable with. :-)

9. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Hatha yoga. I have a particular program I use at home that's easy, has variety, has three routines I can rotate, and ends with some form of meditative tie-in: Candle concentration, ultra deep breathing (alternate nostril), or deep relaxation. The yoga relaxes me and gets me focused. The last asanas - those three above - are perfect lead-ins to meditation. I don't need it anymore, usually, but on the rare occasions I do, yoga is a Godsend. Here is the book I've been using for over 40 years:
    Richard Hittleman's Yoga:  28 day Exercise Plan
    http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Hittleman … rcise+plan

working