jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your opinion on the phrase "under god" in the Pledge of Allegiance? (for

1. MissKatieLynne profile image44
    MissKatieLynneposted 6 years ago

What is your opinion on the phrase "under god" in the Pledge of Allegiance? (for all religions!)

Apparently, in MA, an anonymous couple doesn't want their child to say the phrase "under god" in the pledge. They feel it discriminates. Everyone that called to respond to this 1. assumed they were either atheists or christians just doing it for the money and 2. said atheists were "silly".
    Christians, Atheists, etc - what are you thoughts on this? Create a hub and post the link here!

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

My opinion is that our country was founded on that principle. It is there for a reason and what we should focus on is why. I believe the couple is being pathetic and not focusing on the history of this country. They should be ashamed and kicked out of the states.

3. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

Considering the fact that the definitive version of a "God" is absolutely reflected upon an individual's perspective of their own life and their surroundings or by what they have encountered/experienced, why should anyone have a problem with it?  Throwing an occasional "God" into the verbal mix shouldn't hurt anything!  Regardless, God means something to everyone, whether they are an atheist or not.  I mean really, to some, the term simply means existence within the universe and the ability to view everything as a whole as we are all a part of God, while others think solely of their self and see the term God as bogus hooey made up by others so they could control their life, and many think of some divine being that is in charge of the force behind all things while some think that God merely equals energy, and there are those that simply don't give a rat's ass either way.
    However you look at it, we are all under the great chaos, grand confusion via the gargantuan, garish God concept, whether we admit it or not because, uh, duh, nobody really knows exactly what in the hell is going on here...  My Gawd!  What is it with the Godphobic freaks?  How can you have a problem with a 'term' that you personally define?  Each individual can conclude what they think on this matter and it is just a word, so therefore, what difference does it make if it's in the Pledge of Allegiance or not?   What if you have a problem with the word 'justice'?  Should that be took out, as well?

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

I think Insane Mundane is right on track. I had an atheist father who might disagree if he were still alive, but even his attitude was "live and let live". If I don't worry about atheists not believing in God, I don't expect them to worry that I do. However, this is a pledge and something to be taken seriously. My friend in elementary school belonged to a religion that did not say the Pledge of Allegiance or celebrate Christmas. She went along with the motions so she wouldn't be branded as "different", and she did this with her family's blessings. She brought a Christmas present to school when we drew names. Her family didn't think this was a big deal. Why is it such a big deal today?

5. dianetrotter profile image70
    dianetrotterposted 5 years ago

We have Jehovah's Witnesses at school that won't say the pledge at all.  No one pressures them.  Seems like the kid can either not say the pledge or, personally, not say the words.

working