jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Does an atheist believe in altruism?

1. SilentReed profile image84
    SilentReedposted 6 years ago

Does an atheist believe in altruism?

2. iantoPF profile image80
    iantoPFposted 6 years ago

An Atheist is someone who rejects the concept of God in the religious sense of the word. There are Atheists who entertain the thought of powers greater than ourselves, they just do not attribute those powers with supernatural ability.
    The point is that "Atheist" is not a belief system. An Atheist is a person who may be altruistic or may not, There is no fear or love of Deity to drive his actions. 
    One last point worth mentioning. I  have never met an Atheist who believed in a Devil, but I have met many Christians who work wickedness.

3. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

The two concepts are separate..yes, I think so...

4. neeleshkulkarni profile image42
    neeleshkulkarniposted 6 years ago

you can have altruistic atheists and non altruistic ones  because there is nothing to say that an atheist cannot be a good human being.For that matter an atheist who is an altruist is probably a better altruist since he is not doing it for fear or a better after life but because he wants to.

5. profile image56
    wim99posted 6 years ago

Hypothetically, using Canada as an example, Canada is naturally diverse with about 56 percent population athiest. Considering that most Canadians are trustworthy, and willing to do anything for a good neighbor, I would lean towards the affirmative.

6. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

It depends on who the atheist is.

When an atheist is a real nice and unselfish guy or gal, more than likely, that person is altruistic.

On the other hand, when an atheist is a real S.O.B., chances are that person is not altruistic.

7. thost profile image58
    thostposted 6 years ago

This is a hard one to answer, yes and no is the best I can do.

Most people love their families and are concerned for their welfare, but a tiny minority love only themselves.

I’ll stick with the yes and no answer.

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Altruism is a value. Anyone can have values whether they believe in god or not. Although, true altruism is almost impossible. It is the act of doing something for someone other than the self with no expectations of reciprocation, and having no other ulterior motives. It's not really something you believe in, it exists, it's just rare.

9. move2move profile image61
    move2moveposted 6 years ago

Being an altruist has noting to do with if yes or no you are religion!
    You have or at least, I know people who are very religious and yet ...
    You can't find them when it's about them being altruistic by nature or otherwise.
    So, it's not related.

10. Rain Defence profile image92
    Rain Defenceposted 6 years ago

Which one?

11. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

the term "believe " is misleading as it implies a belief system. as an atheist, i know that i'm a good person in the way i treat other people. i don't need to believe that it is right to worry about others, to me it is common sense. i can't answer for all atheists but the ones i have met are just as good of people as any "christian" or other "believer".

12. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Why are atheists so distrusted by believers? Technically satanism would be the "opposite" of christianity - not a person who believes there is NO god. Just as can't proove a negative - it is a belief system albeit a personal one unique to each person.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/01/belie … as-trustwo

... says Norenzayan. "While atheists may see their disbelief as a private matter on a metaphysical issue, believers may consider atheists' absence of belief as a public threat to cooperation and honesty."

13. tom hellert profile image59
    tom hellertposted 6 years ago

Got me... ask an Atheist- who knows whats rollin around in their heads...but I'd have to say
    Sure why not- by cntrast- if a person is a dick does that make him an atheist... no- I think religeon helps folks stay on the "straight and narrow" but its not a prerequisite

14. cicsomum profile image60
    cicsomumposted 6 years ago

I'm an Atheist, Only thing I believe in is science