jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is an easy spell to teach your kids?

1. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

What is an easy spell to teach your kids?

My son has become interested in my pagan path, and wants to know what sort of magick he can do. I've already taught him meditation, visualization and easy steps such as those. He's not quiet ready for any detailed rituals or mature enough for anything with a large impact. Anyways, I'm trying to think of something simple. Maybe a "closet monsters be-gone" sort of spell, or smudging... Anyone else have any ideas? smile

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Has he found his spirit guide yet? If not he could light a white candle and charge it with the intent of finding his guide and then meditate on it. Banish negativity spells are always good to start with, I have my five year old daughter annoint and light a black candle to burn away negativity in her room. Those are things they can do without alot of focus on the intention. My daughter likes smudging too. I also have her "help" me with larger spells, like for the sabbats. She gets to pick the incense and smudges the altar (holding the smudge stick in a dish and with lots of supervision of course). Color magic is easy for kids, and it teaches them what the color correspondences are.

3. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

It sounds as if your son is young. I am not one for introducing spell crafting to children. They have very little self control and energies can go haywire. Now that being said how do we learn self comtrol if we are not given the opportunities to do so? I think it is important for your son to understand that magick works but it can also back fire. Then find something small he would like to change in his life such as (like you said) getting rid of the closet monster. You will need to cast the circle he will not be able to control the circle and the spell at the same time and then give him a small chant that the two of you have created and then close the circle. This could be very porwerful for him make sure he understand s he is not Harry Potter and that his magick is very differen tfrom the fantasy on T.V. and in the movies.

4. Raptorcat profile image61
    Raptorcatposted 5 years ago

There is a certain wisdom in not teaching spellcraft to children.  As a member of one of the traditional paths, we have our one basic rule that we do not teach children as part of our teaching.
    That said, if one is intent on teaching the craft to their children, then it is IMPERATIVE that the child be fully aware and responsible for their actions.  There is no safe practice for an irresponsible witch.

The best thing to do is to teach them ritual and discipline.
      Make them do homework as to the reasons behind each ritual and each action behind the ritual and make sure that they fully understand about intent and consequences for actions.
      Focus on the Sabbats and esbats to start with, and later you can work on teaching simple healing spells as they become ready to do such work, such as accelerating healing of small wounds and things of that nature.  And always teach focus and be sure that they are ready for the work that they are entering into.
    And teaching should be done in stages, just as it is with adults.  No effective witch ever started with the complicated things; they always started with the absolute basics and worked their way up to the more complex things, just like in mundane school courses.
    Shawn May Scott has made some very good points on this subject that I do not need to repeat.

working