jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Can you name the 10 Commandments and 3 more Jesus added without looking at comme

1. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

Can you name the 10 Commandments and 3 more Jesus added without looking at comments or the Bible?

2. profile image0
    Emer420posted 6 years ago

No.  But I probably should be able to.  I know a couple of them, like; Thou shall not kill, Thou shall not steal, etc.  But I would have to pick up a bible and check on the rest of them.  sad

3. profile image0
    mcals71posted 6 years ago

I know the Ten Commandments by heart, but as far as the three more added by Jesus all I can think of is the "Shema Israel" which is made out of two (not three) Commandments, namely 1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and 2) Love your neighbor as yourself. These two Commandments contain the whole Law handed us by Moses in the form of the Ten Commandments. I can't think of a third Commandment that was handed us by Jesus. Does anyone?

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I had no idea Jesus added commandments. I know he said we could eat whatever we wanted. He also said that when we pray we should not "babble like the pagans". Baptists have chosen to ignore the latter mentioned. He preached forgiveness and tolerance--something many people have forgotten. I give up.

5. soulsirene profile image60
    soulsireneposted 6 years ago

- You shall not kill.
    - You shall not commit idolatry.
    - Love your neighbor.
    - You shall not covet your neighbor's wife or husband.
    - You shall not steal.
    - Love your parents.
    - You shall not make false witness.
    - Worship only one God.
    - You shall not commit blasphemy.
    - Don't work on Sabbath day.

Additional commandments
    - Sell your possessions and give to the poor.
    - Love one another.
    - Love your enemies.

6. giopski profile image61
    giopskiposted 6 years ago

There are indeed 10 commandments.  These commandments are enumerated in Exodus 20:1-7 we call the Mosaic Law since they were primarily passed on to Moses to deliver the Israelites.  Jesus, however, did not add to these commandments but rather summed up these ten under two categories: "Love God wil all your heart, mind and soul," which pertains to the first 3 commandments; and "Love your neighbor as yourself" pertaining to the rest of the commandments.  Remember Jesus saying in the Gospel, "I did not come to abolish the LAW but to FULFILL them" (Matt. 5:17) - the Mosaic Law as one of them.

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Yes I can. Can you ? All ten are pretty much straight-forward and some are even incorporated into civilizations laws of the land.

8. brenda12lynette profile image85
    brenda12lynetteposted 6 years ago

Yes. I learned a song of the 10 Commandments when I was little and can remember it to this day!

9. WookieWonderfuls profile image61
    WookieWonderfulsposted 6 years ago

I actually do and I'm not religious...i read the Ali G book which has rude alterations of them yikes but it's how i learnt the real ones so i guess it's not all bad.

10. KatyWhoWaited profile image60
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 6 years ago

The Beatitudes feel like commandments to me. "Blessed are" seems to me a mandate to action:(Without looking, here's what I remember)
    Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God;
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice sake, for they shall be satisfied
    Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.

Christ's words to "forgive 7 x 70" also seem to be a commandment. And the one absolutely no one wants to follow, especially the wealthy, is the call to action: "sell all you have and come follow me".

In addition, the corporal works of mercy are powerful in their directives:  feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit the sick, bury the dead.  Again, modern day Evangelical Christians who love the Old Testament, seem, at least to me, to like to avoid mention of the the first 3 in their politics, opting instead to ascribe blame to those in need.