jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do people not accept god?

1. celticdude7 profile image68
    celticdude7posted 5 years ago

Why do people not accept god?

Assuming that it is a necessary condition to be good and all that, why do people not accept god?

2. KutterHighway profile image59
    KutterHighwayposted 5 years ago

Generally, most atheists refuse to accept the idea of god because the evidence is absent. That's the general reason to not believe any lie. Atheists are also usually very well read in many different religions and can see how they are the same story with different character actors a lot of the time. People who refuse to be content with "god did it" are the ones who better understand our world and ultimately life's reality. They make better contributions to the world and advance knowledge more readily. I am thankful not to be shackled to a 2,000 year old mental delusion.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Believing that one must have a manual to have morals is bizarre. The Christian God was able to create an entire world however claims to have no ability to protect the people he created. If he is real this is why I do not accept him. Personally I would like to think that if there were a God, an all powerful being, that he would protect his creations to advance all he made. I don't claim to know if there is a God or not. I don't believe it to be likely though.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

because there is no god so why would we accept it?

5. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I watched an interview between Stephen Colbert and Anne Rice just recently. He was speaking to her about how she converted to Catholicism and then abandoned it a few years later. Essentially his argument was that, by not believing in god, she was playing the worlds most dangerous gamble and if she lost, she would lose her soul to eternal damnation. While I understand what Stephen Colbert was saying (whether it was a joke or not) I feel like, if there was a god that was all good and all knowing, then he wouldn't want us to lie. Being a constant liar would be a good reason to go to hell. But, if I joined a theist religion, despite my personal belief otherwise, then I would not only be lying to myself, but I'd be lying to god as well. I'd then end up in heaven and he would tell me, "you've been lying this whole time, you never believed in me", at which point he'd probably send me to hell. But if I'm true to my beliefs and I don't pretend to be something I'm not, a rational god would accept me anyway. And that's essentially where I'm at. If there is a god, which there isn't, and he was all good, he would be smart enough to see I'm a good person and wouldn't be a jerk because I didn't worship him every sunday.

6. kgarcia1113 profile image71
    kgarcia1113posted 5 years ago

It's very simple, people who don't accept god don't believe in god. Logical thinking, science, and free will tells us that somethings are not always true just because millions of people say it's true. The real problem is: Why do people who believe in god refuse to accept those who don't?

That isn't saying that believers don't have friends who aren't believers but to say that those who don't accept your views are damned to hell is unfair. Most people who don't accept god or don't believe in god also don't believe in hell. Hell is part of a religion where heaven exists and hell is its counterpart. So to say that someone's soul is going hell is to force your religious views on that person. For a soul to go to heaven or hell the person would have to believe that both exist thus admitting to the belief in god.

I don't accept the concept of god for myself, therefore my soul can neither go to heaven nor hell because my belief is that they don't exist. You can hope my soul will go to hell for not believing but unless I believe my soul will simply no longer exist once my heart has stopped and I have been declared dead.

Just so people don't get the wrong the idea, I accept others beliefs and acknowledge that each is entitled to have their own opinion. I hope everyone has something to believe in or to drive them to wake up in the mornings.