jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)

Would you rather pray alone or around other people?

1. madmachio profile image61
    madmachioposted 6 years ago

Would you rather pray alone or around other people?

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

Most of the time I pray alone, often with my family...I pray quietly (silently) around other people all the time.  Don't know if I have a preference.

3. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 6 years ago

There are appropriate times and places for both public and private prayers.  We're told to go into our "prayer closet" and pray...  the Lord's Prayer is Our Father, which would indicate there is more than one person praying...  It is best to pray with another person, rather than for another person... you never know what level of Spiritual Attack you are levying on someone else when you pray for them.  Intercessory prayer should be for Protection, not to get your way in a person's life.  Very good question.  It provokes alot of thought!

4. randomlyramblin profile image59
    randomlyramblinposted 6 years ago

I Rather Pray Alone, When I Pray I Consider It My Time With God.

5. profile image0
    Gusserposted 6 years ago

Alone , as instructed to do in the Bible.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

I usually pray by myself where I feel in close communication with God. It may be aloud or in silence. If I am praying in a group or saying a blessing at dinner, I like to join hands because I feel a deep connectedness with others through prayer. In worship service, I often feel more focused  and emotional because of scripture and the beautiful, uplifting music,but neither is quite as intimate or as fulfilling as praying alone.

7. rafken profile image79
    rafkenposted 6 years ago

I pray alone. When we meet our maker we will be alone and it is only you and he that know what your dreams were, if you achieved them. You and he alone will know if you kept any bargain with him. These are all things that are between yourself and your God, outside influences will not be with you at the time of your meeting and so why should they play a part in your discussions?

8. unknown spy profile image74
    unknown spyposted 6 years ago

just alone..it helps me think and concentrate.

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Alone.  Corporate prayer makes me uncomfortable because it quickly becomes a show.

10. Rosalinem profile image60
    Rosalinemposted 6 years ago

I prefer to pray alone because then I don't have to worry about distracting other people or have set time for prayer but I don't mind praying with other people especially if its about a project that we are all involved in or thanks giving.

11. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

I pray alone mostly. But in a gathering, I enjoy prayers of thanks or invocations.

The only time group prayers get on my nerves is when someone is controlling or manipulating the group into big, phony displays of public prayer.

12. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

I prefer to be alone, although we are encouraged to pray together. I think there is a deeper connection when alone. I tend to skip prayers when i'm around any person coz i see it as a show rather than what it is supposed to be. I do not want people to see me as a believer, I want the All-Mighty to see me as a believer.

13. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

I sometimes find meaning in corporate prayer, e.g. those led during a church service, but more often than not they are merely pro forma. Praying privately is my preferred way. Surprisingly, Jesus too did it so. There is not a single instance in the New Testament in which He is shown praying in any circumstance but outdoors under the sky, alone. He often would go off by Himself into unpopulated locations such as the wilderness areas of Galilee and Judea to do it.

14. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Jesus tells us to pray alone in a closet. He tells us this so that we will not be seen by others in our dealings with God in prayer.

15. sholland10 profile image92
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

I usually pray alone unless others are praying - like at a family meal or in church.  I talk to God about everyday things.  It is personal and between me and Him.  Then there are times when prayer should be shared, such as prayer requests for healing or the hurting or praises to God for something good He has brought into ours or others' lives.  You should never pray for show; it must be sincere.

16. eddiemars profile image59
    eddiemarsposted 6 years ago

I will pray anytime anywhere. I will pray silently or aloud. Its a great privilege to be able to pray to God. I want to be careful to glorify Him and not be out of His will.

17. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Personally, I pray in silent whenever I need to do so. It can be when there are people around as well as when I am alone.

It is the communication between God and myself where I need to confess. So it does not matter where I am or there are people around as I pray in my silence.

18. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 6 years ago

I would rather spend quiet time with the Lord, alone if possible. In secret I can tell the Lord about everything and ask Him anything. In public, one is not so inclined.

working