jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Atheist- Is there ever a time when you wish you believed in God?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Atheist- Is there ever a time when you wish you believed in God?

2. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 5 years ago

No, when I was a dubious Christian there were moments I envied the solid faith of others but since I have been an atheist no.

3. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

As a youngster, being raised "in the Catholic faith" I believed the God and Jesus stories......

When and as I became older and what I would call more enlightened, I came to believe that religions such as Catholicism (and most others) really preyed on those who were WILLING to believe and go along with their dogma regardless of its "provability" and/or plausibility.....

I believe that people with strong beliefs are entitled to hold those beliefs and, even, craft their lives around them, if they wish.... AS LONG AS THEY (AND THEIR BELIEFS) DO NOT IMPINGE UPON THE FREEDOM AND WELL-BEING OF OTHERS WHO DO NOT SHARE THOSE BELIEFS (ANYBODY/EVERYBODY ELSE).....

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

a few times and that was because i wanted to blame something for crap in my life. this was when i was a homeless kid and scared. i realized even then that god was just a word and since then , it has been proven to me time and time again.

5. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

Not really, no. Obviously, people can believe whatever they want, but to be honest, I've always viewed religion as a bit of a crutch. If something's going wrong, then there's someone to blame besides yourself and your surroundings, but that also means that there's someone you can pray to and it basically just feels like you're never alone. I personally like the feeling of achieving something and knowing it was me who did it, not any higher power.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Constantly. I'm fascinated by science and, in my heart, I know that supernatural deities don't exist, but every time I think about death and the eternal sleep that it represents, I find myself wishing god was real. He's imperfect and kind of a jerk, but I would take that afterlife to no afterlife at all. Maybe I just need to resolve death in my head, but as of right now, it is probably the thing that terrifies me most.

working