jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is the difference between a monk and a friar?

1. Myn Is Me profile image73
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

What is the difference between a monk and a friar?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6531830_f260.jpg

2. Angelme566 profile image60
    Angelme566posted 5 years ago

The difference between a monk and a friar is a monk can't be expose to the people or can't get along with the public while  friar can be with the public , can interact with the people openly.

3. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

Not sure.  But I heard a story--

At fish-and-chips dinner raising funds for a local monastery an attendee became curious about a particular religious Brother whom she saw wearing a chef's apron.

"Is he the fish frier?" she asked--only to be answered without hesitation, "No, he's the chip monk."

[rimshot]

1. Myn Is Me profile image73
      Myn Is Meposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not the answer I was looking for but a vote up for giving me the giggles!

4. krillco profile image94
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

=== :Friar gives up all personal property and lives in poverty ===
    === :Both Monks and Friars take vows of poverty. The salient difference is that Monks lived cloistered in a monastary, away from normal secular life. Friars, on the other hand, lived amongst the people and belonged to a general order rather than a specific monastary. ===
    Please see: Cleary, G. (1909). Friar. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Retrieved April 30, 2009 from New Advent: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06280b.htm
    It states: The word friar is to be carefully distinguished in its application from the word monk. For the monk retirement and solitude are undisturbed by the public ministry, unless under exceptional circumstances. His vow of poverty binds him strictly as an individual but in no way affects the right of tenure of his order. In the life of the friar, on the contrary, the exercise of the sacred ministry is an essential feature, for which the life of the cloister is considered as but an immediate preparation. His vow of poverty, too, not only binds him as an individual to the exercise of that virtue, but, originally at least, precluded also the right of tenure in common with his brethren. Thus originally the various orders of friars could possess no fixed revenues and lived upon the voluntary offerings of the faithful.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_d … z1tM60wexf

5. Religulous profile image73
    Religulousposted 5 years ago

Monks stay in and Friars go out!

Monks are religious men who live together in a monastery, working and praying and obeying a set of very strict rules, cut off from the rest of the world. The word 'monk' comes from the Greek word for 'alone'. One of the most famous monks was St Benedict who was born in about AD 480 and founded the Benedictine Order of monks.

The Benedictines have strict rules, but the Cistercians have even stricter rules of behavior. In contrast to the isolation of monks, friars go out into the world to help others, teaching and preaching and helping the sick. The name 'friar' really means 'brother'. The Franciscan friars were started by St Francis of Assisi at the beginning of the 13th century, shortly before St Dominic founded the Dominicans.

working