Where do you turn when you begin to doubt your own faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. kate12402 profile image61
    kate12402posted 11 years ago

Where do you turn when you begin to doubt your own faith?

Recently I have begun to question my own faith and spirituality.  I do not ascribe to a particular religion or denomination because I believe in all paths to God.  But I'm curious about what other people do, look to, or talk about when they themselves are having a crises of faith.

2. EmVeeT profile image71
    EmVeeTposted 11 years ago

Part 1:

Hmm. This is a really good question. I'll tell you why. Everyone doubts. In fact, there are seasons when doubting is the prevalent frame of mind in those who are searching for God.

I don't personally believe 'all paths lead to God'. Although, I was at a place in my life, much earlier, where I wouldn't have been able to even distinguish the truth behind that phrase.

I was searching. I was filled with questions. Thousands of them. No one could answer for me - at least not to my satisfaction.

When it comes to faith, we all journey. However, I can tell you this: as you step forward, inquisitively, one thing I would suggest you decide in advance is never 'settle' for an answer that seems good enough... especially if there is a niggling sense deep in your heart that tells you, it's not.

I found GOD because I wasn't satisfied with partial answers. I found GOD because I decided I couldn't live a proper life if I didn't know for sure, whether or not HE IS.

Of course, there will be hundreds, maybe even thousands of nay-sayers... people who consider themselves wise when they state, "you can't prove there is a god/God'. My view, from experience is clear, by the same token I cannot tangibly prove there is a GOD (for me, HE IS the GOD of The Bible), they cannot prove HE IS NOT. What's more, their inclination to desire I make HIM real to them will never be satisfied, because I cannot. HE Isn't a toy people play with, conjure up at a whim or mystically call upon. HE IS GOD.

The Bible PROMISES those of us who want to find HIM, will find HIM. However, always remember, because we're human, even when circumstances and experience has proven to you without room for a particle of doubt, there will be days when you forget what you know and you're put through the doubt mill again.

Doubt is a weapon of God's enemy. Deception is another of those tools. Very powerful. Useful because they are being used against us by seasoned warriors of a spiritual realm, warriors that have existed for time without human conception. They've employed these instruments of destruction for centuries against humans more brilliant and more determined to discover the truth than most of the humans living on our planet in this age will ever be.

1. EmVeeT profile image71
      EmVeeTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was more I had said, but I was told I need to write a HUB about it, because my answer was too long.

Katie: keep searching. If you want the truth, you can find it. MAY you BE BLESSED!

2. kate12402 profile image61
      kate12402posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is so very insightful and encouraging.  Thank you.  And you're right.  I hadn't realized how much 'settling' I've done when it comes to my faith.  Thank you.

3. AM Hanson profile image68
    AM Hansonposted 11 years ago

I would like to start with a little bit of encouragement:  Doubting is natural.  We are human, and could not fully understand any deity, regardless of what religion it is a part of.  Also, doubting is an important part of our own personal faiths.  Through doubt, we learn the most about ourselves and our beliefs.  It is not until our faith/belief is challenged that we learn how strong that faith/belief is.

Non onto the question! I'm a lifelong Christian and I have been here before.  Prayer was extremely important to me.  There were nights that I stayed up, praying to God.  Often as not, I would talk through my problems and end up finding the answers through these latenight talks that usually turned into me argue/reasoning with myself and pointing out the flaws of my fears or validating my worries.

Family/friends/religious figures can be a double-edged sword.  When I was in high school, a friend of mine died when a drunk driver ran into  her car.  She wasn't even eighteen years old.  While I was talking to a close friend about it, spilling my heart and having a good cry, I said something about "everything having a reason, but I cant for the life of me see the reason behind this" and they openly laughed at me, saying that there was no reason for this and i was an idiot to think that there was anything more than someone driving recklessly.  I was shocked and hurt that they would, in a time when I was vulnerable, make a statement like that.  Then, when I was at the funeral, while my pastor (who, as I've mentioned in one of my hubs, is one of the reasons I rarely go to church anymore) was speaking, he said the most untasteful and disrespectful words I have ever heard at a funeral: he mentioned the parents looming divorce. He didn't talk about how great a person Caitlyn was, but about her parents upcoming seperation.  In his time as our pastor, he has effectively driven me from his services with his biased, annoying, and sometimes enraging sermons.

Some of the first people you'd think to go to can be the least helpful.  Personally, I would recommend either talking with God or with yourself.  The Bible can also be helpful, even if you are nondenominational.  I had a Bible when I was younger which actually had a section in the back with an index of verses to read when you were feeling a certain way, and it was often quite helpful.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope things work out for you.

This was beautifully written, and very encouraging.  Thank you for taking the time to help me, and write such an amazing answer.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

When my faith becomes weak, I turn to God and ask Him for strength and guidance. I pray and "get in the Word." (Holy Bible). I talk with other believers who give me the same advice. I do not generally lose faith, but I may lose my perspective. Christians are instructed in the Bible to not give up fellowship with other believers. I have prayed to find a Bible-believing church in an area where I thought there were none, and viola! God answered my prayers, sent two men from such a church to my door and I have been attending this wonderful church now.

Thank you for your answer.  I don't normally consider myself a Christian per se, but I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me, and offer your honest opinions.

5. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

AS a pragmatist, I don't give faith enough credence in my life such that I CAN experience a "crisis of faith..."    After all, what happens in our lives.... WE CAN CONTROL.... .and "faith" is based upon believing that "someone, or something" (else) (like a Diety) is in control.... That's not likely....

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your opinion and you're entitled to it. That is the humanist perspective, very popular these days. Recognizing our limitations as humans is actually quite empowering, and Who better to be on the side of than the Creator of the universe!

2. kate12402 profile image61

I don't actually think that I have complete control over my life.  I cannot control the actions of others, the occurrences of natural disasters, etc.  And I don't agree with your definition of faith.  But thank you for taking the time to answer.

6. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

As other have already stated...faith is a personal journey.  For me, when I am down, I pray and look deep within myself, because I know God resides there in the heart.  Recently, I felt like the whole world was against me and God had left the room!  After some venting and belly aching, I finally took quiet moments to myself for reflections and soon saw how I was building everything up to be more than what it really was.  God did not leave me, but sent  me down a path for a lesson of growth.  Hope you find your growth too!

I like the idea that doubt can be used for growth.  It seems to be a common theme for these answers.  Thank you so much for your insightful answer.

7. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

In good or bad times, my faith remains strong as it is a test. I do know that there will be test in bad times with my faith and I always remain strong in my belief. It has helped me to tide through all obstacles in life.

It is best to keep your faith strong and you will eventually notice that God is always there to help you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

8. profile image53
    finewordsposted 11 years ago

then we are on the same side. the day when i had faith in god and forgot to love him

9. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 11 years ago

Often our doubts are created by conflicts in what we believe and what we want to believe.  What we want to believe may be influenced by what we heard someone teach.  Try to ignore those human opinions and turn back to God, the Source of your faith, whom you know exist (by your admission).  Be honest in talking to Him about your doubts.  That's what I do.  Be open to the method of His response, which may come in the words of a song, a call from a friend, an object lesson in nature etc.  Meanwhile, just be still, and know that He is God.

10. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 11 years ago

When you are in doubt or in a crises, you turn to the bible which is God's word. When i am down, i turn to the word of God because it gives me hope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)