Do you believe that having children is selfish and enviromentally irresponcible?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Vasiliki Bouras profile image60
    Vasiliki Bourasposted 11 years ago

Do you believe that having children is selfish and enviromentally irresponcible? (Present Day)

I have been hearing both sides of the argument, and very unsure myself. Many believe that having children now adays is harmful to the enviroment and socially unethical due to over population and lack of resources. Those who believe that choose to abstain from reproducing, or adopt instead, providing homes for those already here. On the flip side,  Earth takes care of herself, and it's the human race that has to worry about our destruction and lack of resources, so why should individuals not have the right to have their own families like their ancestors before them?

2. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

Though overpopulation makes having twelve children seem selfish and foolish, but those families are driven by God's teachings.  But I feel that having children is still a great thing, but maybe fewer would be best due to the present world situation.  I would not vote that no children should be born....because they are our answer to the future.

3. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

No... I've always heard that people who opted to not have kids were selfish.  Also, it has been said for decades that there was a lack of resources but we keep on keeping on.  I suppose the debates will continue.

1. InterestCaptured profile image82
      InterestCapturedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

some of us keep on keeping on

4. ftclick profile image57
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I agree, the earth does take care of itself. There is a kind of natural population control either by war or natural disaster.

5. MilesArmbruster profile image60
    MilesArmbrusterposted 11 years ago

I suppose we would have to consider this in a "per capita" sense. China and India are countries that are clearly overpopulated. On the other hand, The United States has a relatively low population considering the amount of resources and land we have. Before I have kids I pondered this idea with my wife. Really, the issue is not about having children at all, but how many. If every family has two children, then essentially the population will stabilize into the next generation. For example - 10 couples have two children each. That is 20 people in generation 1 and 20 people in generation 2. If each of these families has only one child, the second generation will only have 10 people - the population is cut in half. You can see where this goes.
    (For the record, we decided to have two and a third kid was kinda an accident.)
    There are religious and ethical issues involved. There are also economic issues. And, of course, there is a whole world of misunderstanding. The issue is not an easy one. Good question.

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Several years ago, a "researcher" called me and wanted my comments about people building huge houses, using Al Gore as an example. She wanted to see legislation drafted that would limit the size of a house that a person could build or own based on number of peple, age of children, elderly occupants, etc.

I told her I had no comment and I was not going to get involved in a social engineering discussion. There is nothing wrong with posing a question as has been done here. Having children is a natural process. My wife and I could not have children so we adopted our son when he was six-weeks old. He is now 28. Some people act irresponsibly which leads to a child being born. You have to think of this as the number line math that back when I was in the eighth grade. For some reasons,  two negative numbers added together equal a positive number. I never understood that. However, because the child is the result of an irresponsible act does not mean that the birth of the child should be viewed as selfish or environmental irresponsible. The birth is a miracle. Our job as a society is to see that these children get the help they need during life.

7. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yin & Yang is spoken in Feng Shui.

I believe there is always a balance between Yin & Yang.

Having children is joy to family as they will be replacing us when we die. This is the balance of living and dead.

This is the life cycle where we human beings need to go through. We need to do what we can to control within our means of survival.

We are creature of circumstances where we handle things as it comes along. I do not believe in stopping birth of children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)