jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Who do you consider a remarkable philosopher/psychologist/spiritual leader?

1. Quirinus profile image73
    Quirinusposted 5 years ago

Who do you consider a remarkable philosopher/psychologist/spiritual leader?

What work/s such as books have they produced that have a profound yet practical value to humanity, for example, on the level of everyday living?  Have his/her work/s gained popular acceptance? If so of if not, why do you think so?

2. pinkrose91 profile image61
    pinkrose91posted 5 years ago

Mirza Tahir Ahmad: I will make a hub about him as it is hard to answer this question in short. If you are interested to learn more about him please let me know....

1. Quirinus profile image73
      Quirinusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, pinkrose91!  Will look forward to your hub.

3. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Walt Kelly was a brilliant philosopher, filling up cartoon strips for years.  His character, Pogo, said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."  Yepper!

4. inChristalone profile image61
    inChristaloneposted 5 years ago

David Jeremiah.  He has survived in the ministry not by being religious but by being genuine.  Amazing speaker.

I also like James MacDonald.  He is a no nonsense kind of guy and I really like that.

5. Ciel Clark profile image75
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

I have a quote by Socrates (Plato) up on our fridge:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

I actually love Socrates for his belief in the importance of asking questions of yourself and others to find the best answers, and use his methods (as he admits, methods he was taught by others!) and it is just funny to see him (or Plato or whoever was  taking dictation for him) be surprised by these darn kids of today.

1. SportsBetter profile image77
      SportsBetterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I also like Socrates and Plato.  "Democracy... is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder; and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequals alike." Plato| http://sportsbetter.hubpages.com/hub/10 … ato-Quotes

6. Cristale profile image86
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

God. His word is the best book ever created. This book is accepted internationally, but also cursed by many. This book is filled with ways to live and to be prosperous. It also contains instructions on how to make it in this cold and cruel world. This book has been around for a long time and there is a reason why.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The person I most respect today can take versus out of the Bible and explain them to you in a way that you know God has given him such Knowledge. That would be Dr. Charles Stanley. He is Definitely chosen.

8. yoginijoy profile image73
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

For me, one of the most remarkable philosophical spiritual leaders is the Buddha. Yes, his Dhammapada has gained popular acceptance and is very useful for living a peaceful life. I believe there are many Buddhists who find his life to be an example of "the middle way." This means not living in the extreme but rather choosing consciously what brings peace, joy and love to one's spirit without being radical towards any particular theme.