jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What Happens to Your Soul After Death?

1. Greg Sereda profile image75
    Greg Seredaposted 5 years ago

What Happens to Your Soul After Death?

Does it go into the light of Heaven? Does it wander around aimlessly? Does it go to Hell if you have been bad? Or, do you just become unconscious and that's it?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7031691_f260.jpg

2. teacherjoe52 profile image72
    teacherjoe52posted 5 years ago

Hi Greg.

You either go to Heaven if you accept Jesus as your saviour or you go to hell.
    If you are interested in hell watch Bill Wiese 23 minutes in Hell  on youtube.
    It is very eye opening.
    If you want to know about Heaven listen to Pastor Tom on Drive Time Devotions on Saddleback Church web site under resources. Listen to him talk about the Book ofRevelations.
    God bless you.

Greg Seredaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I'm leaning more towards what Michele Travis said, though. That you sleep in the grave until the resurrection at Jesus' return. That makes more sense to me.

2. CriticalMessage profile image78
      CriticalMessageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Scientific sense Greg?, or hocus pocus fear mongering bible type of sense used to explain away the unexplainable just to make people feel better about their own demise? Which really makes no sense at all.

3. Michele Travis profile image70
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

We know that we will simply go to sleep.  In John 11 we can read about the death and resurrection of  Lazarus.   Lazarus had been dead for 4 days when Jesus came to visit Mary and Martha.  John 11:23-24 Jesus said to her " Your brother will rise again.   Mary said, " I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day"

In Revelation we are also taught that people do not go to Heaven right after they die.   Revelation 20:13  The sea gave up it's dead, and death and Hades ( the actual translation means the grave/ground) gave up the dead that were in them, and they were judged, every one of them, according to their deeds.

So, after you die, your soul simply sleeps. You do not suffer, or have dreams.  When Jesus comes back, you will rise again.  Then you will be able to enter into the New Paradise which will be the New Earth.  God will create a New Earth and a New Heaven.  That will be wonderful.

1. ginjill ashberry profile image76
      ginjill ashberryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing that one, Michele. You are stating my very answer. There's TOO many people who didn't get that straight. It is all in the Bible, where the truth can be found; and not merely man's doctrine.

2. CriticalMessage profile image78
      CriticalMessageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So what do you tell all 3 billion (1/2 the worlds population) of the Budhists & Hindus?,,, That they have it all wrong because of something stated in some book they can care less about?,,, Christians, it's all about them...

3. profile image50
      Giddy Geezerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have always leaned toward that way of thinking too but what about the man on the cross beside Jesus who was told "this day you will be with me in paradise"  Couldn't He have been saying when you die you instantly go to Heaven?

4. CriticalMessage profile image78
    CriticalMessageposted 5 years ago

One would think that with all the dead people since the beginning of mankind we would have this answered by now.. So I'm pretty sure it just gets buried or turned to ashes just like the other parts... Which makes me think that maybe I should leave instructions for them to take my shoes off so there is easier access to my souls if somebody might actually want them for whatever reason...

What I do know is that a person is dead when they die... I think that pretty much ends all their worries, concerns, and wonders...

5. cavedweller profile image56
    cavedwellerposted 5 years ago

Goes into the 4th dimension for rebirth.

6. Shepherd 48 profile image61
    Shepherd 48posted 5 years ago

Mind if I weigh in on this? It looks like we've got some pretty diverse opinions here. I'm confident that only the Bible contains the truth to this question. First we have to understand the components. I believe "spirit" is the word that represents the real us. "Soul" represents the mind, will & emotions. "Body" is simply the earthsuit we live in while here. "Death" then is not ceasing to exist but separation. The spirit & soul separates from the body. Where do they go? They go to their father. If God is your Father, you go to Him. If you haven't chosen God then Satan is still your father [John 8:44] and you go to him. I'm going to side against "soul sleep" because I read in II Corinthians 5 that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. When Jesus spoke to His disciples about Lazarus He used the word "sleep". They misunderstood so He said clearly, "He's dead." Lazarus wasn't sleeping during that time. He was in Abraham's bosom [Paradise] - a compartment in the earth. No one could enter heaven yet then because Jesus hadn't yet died and been raised. After He rose Jesus led the OT saints who had died in a triumphal procession to heaven. Now Dying saints go right on in. My dad is there. My grandparents. Some day, me too!

Greg Seredaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

7. Agnes Penn profile image81
    Agnes Pennposted 5 years ago

Answers here consider that our life, restrained by time, will also be restrained by time after death.  Yes, the Bible speaks of an order in which people will rise.  Those who rise in the first resurrection will live and everyone else will rise in the second resurrection - not a good end for them.  These events, however, don't happen within time so that some are "waiting" for others to die as if time limited them still.  We are not in God's mind to discern the how of life-after-death.  We first have to learn how to  live now.  I mean, the Our Father tells us what Heaven is and we don't learn: Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.  We need to learn to speak (recognize) God's language now - do His will - or we don't get to live in His house later.

working