This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have You Had Any Life Experiences That Make You A Believer In The Paranormal?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 5 years ago

Have You Had Any Life Experiences That Make You A Believer In The Paranormal?

I haven't written a hub about it yet, but I did some research into psychics about a decade ago, and the results were startling.  I have always been facisinated by and open to the paranormal, but these experiences really made me believe there is something to psychics that I could clearly evaluate. 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6440587_f260.jpg

2. Emveme7 profile image60
    Emveme7posted 5 years ago

I have been experiencing varied paranormal phenomena since I was a child. From the horrific to the miraculous. No matter where I am or whom I am with sooner or later something happens that cannot be explained in conventional terms. Anyone spending any length of time with me will also see, hear, or be touched what defies rational explanation. I call this the bleed over effect. It seems to be inherited as my  children are experiencing these things also. All I can do is give them the tools to cope and lifelines that may be needed if things get out of hand.

3. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 5 years ago

Amazingly, yes and until these things started to happen I would have believed that there was a rational explanation for everything.  I have a good understanding of how perception is fooled and how people end up believing in ghosts, etc simply because of parapsychology but the things I have seen with my own eyes really have defied explanation.

I have also written about a few of these experiences.

4. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Rock_nj....I certainly hope you do write that hub about this fascinating subject.  I would be most interested in reading of your experiences.  I am always open to this as well as all other concepts that are as possible as any.  Never say never.  If we are closed minded, we remain stagnant, and miss vital revelations.
    I have had experiences that were amazing & opened the door, for me to seek further knowledge of the paranormal.

5. Dreamhowl profile image97
    Dreamhowlposted 5 years ago

I have always been open to the paranormal and other phenomena, not necessarily by any experience. However, when I was in middle school my family was staying with my aunt while we were waiting to move into a new house. One night our cousins decided to use a Ouija board to try and contact something. They had me ask a question only I would know the answer to, which I did. When it spelled out the person's name I was immediately interested. They then got into contact with their dead aunt, whom they had been close to, and the board began spelling out the song she used to sing to them. My cousins and stepmom were in tears.

6. swordsbane profile image61
    swordsbaneposted 5 years ago

It is a big leap from "Something happened that I don't understand" to "I experienced some kind of supernatural event."  There is no evidence that there are ghosts, spirits, psychics, magic, angels, God, etc.  If you did research into psychics then you would know this.  If there was any kind of evidence, then we would have testable, repeatable experiments anyone who can read this can duplicate.  We don't.... unless you are privy to research that various scientists... some who have been exploring these questions their entire lives... are not.

It's okay to ask about people experiences, as long as you realize that people are fallible and can be fooled, and sometimes they want to be fooled.  Every time you see a magic act, your brain is lying to you.  Even if you KNOW how the trick is done, your eyes and ears feed your brain the wrong information and your brain believes it.  You have to ignore that data and go one what you know: that the trick is not real magic, that it's all an act.  When someone witnesses a paranormal event, they can't fall back on what they know.  They have to make a judgement based on what they experienced.  In scientific inquiry, first hand experiences are the most unreliable sources of data for any experiment.  Against that you have a lot of people telling you that they swear they have had a supernatural experience...people who are not in controlled environments, who lack expertise on what they may have seen and who are at the time under stress, or have to think fast since the phenomenon doesn't last very long, or they are the subjects of a hoax people who know what they are doing are perpetrating.  This cannot be considered evidence unless there is something objective to support their conclusions.... and there never is.

I realize this answer will probably fall on deaf ears.  Those who believe don't need "evidence" and resent people using "logic" on them.  To those people I can only say that I DO need evidence.  I would LOVE it if someone could furnish me with some.  I'd love to believe in psychics, in magic and the like.  My brain isn't made that way though.  I'm stuck believing only that which actually exists.  My apologies.

working