jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What did Jesus mean when He said, " The First will be last and the Last first?"

1. profile image68
    graceinusposted 5 years ago

What did Jesus mean when He said, " The First will be last and the Last first?"

2. Ericdierker profile image55
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

My friend this is a wonderful question that I think confuses so many. Important to note that probably it is said in a degree, more like "some of the first...". The reason for that is so as not to suggest an opposite type result but rather to show an equaling of man before God. It is not meant to condemn rich and great people but to refocus on a communal love and grace for each other.  It is referencing the distinction between this world and God's world.  That what may be important here is not necessarily important there. Worldly standards and not necessarily heavenly standards. If we are to judge a man, we should only judge his heart and not his status in this world. Better yet we do not judge and accept all as though they will be first in heaven.
    I am afraid that too many use this notion to condemn great accomplishments on earth rather than to celebrate each man's dignity and equal footing before the Lord. Christ did not speak to hurt or condemn, he spoke to lift up. In that context the message is wonderful for all those in suffering here on earth.

1. profile image68
      graceinusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This statement made by Jesus is something I have wondered about for many years. I very much welcome your answer and look forward to others.
      Thanks Ericdieker

3. SwordofManticorE profile image79
    SwordofManticorEposted 5 years ago

It means that no one is better than the other. We are all equal in the site of God.

1. profile image68

God looking at mankind as equals among ourselves, then it would be wise for all of us to follow His example. Many thanks SwordofManticorE and God bless

4. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

What this really means is that those who think of themselves as "first" (worthy) are following ego, instead of God and Jesus, and thus will be counted last among all.

Those who have no thought of self, but who love unconditionally and give generously of themselves are putting themselves as "last" (a humble servant), and thus will be counted first, because they are doing as God and Jesus would do through love.

Ego is the master of this world, and all too often those who think highly of themselves are actually following ego instead of Jesus and God. Ego is the "false self" that must die before we can gain everlasting life.

When all attachments to ego are gone, the true self can awaken. When that happens, consciousness no longer depends upon the physical brain, but resides instead in the true self (soul, Holy Ghost, child of God), within. I have experienced this once, 41 years ago, and long to find it again permanently.

But Jesus said, "ask and you will receive." I'm not there, yet. So, I practice being as humble as a beggar. And for me, that takes a lot of practice.

1. profile image68

When being humble in the eyes of God takes effort then it reveals to us that we still have a long ways to go. I look forward to the day when being humble and giving of ourselves for others is normal and no longer an effort. Many thanks lone77star.

2. SwordofManticorE profile image79
      SwordofManticorEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is your typical church doctrine.

5. mwangip profile image61
    mwangipposted 5 years ago

Every thing is like in a circle where in , the start of anything is the beginning of another.

1. profile image68

Clearly Jesus had a reason for making the comment I had described. Its posssible it is the start of something not yet known to us, but will be revealed at a later time. Many thanks for your answer mwangip

6. profile image55
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

Just as it is today!  TRUTH will be last and RELIGION (LIES) will be first!

Isaiah 5:20 said, "Woe unto them who call evil, good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

Have ALL forgotten Scripture (Galatians 1:6-9)?  "ACCURSED" TWO TIMES?

working